Today's young people are weaklings

** Sounds like just about any member of The Greens you might bump into. Or "Martians" as I like to refer to them.

BTW:

I found a pic of E. James Prendergast and family plus one of his old business cards from his AT&T days. I will bring them along to our coffee morning.

I see he recently retired as the Executive Director of the IEEE.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

When I was young we used to punch each other in the chest as hard as possib le. Some punk wants a piece of me like "Tell you what, I hit you once and i f you can get up you win". One time, no fight. "DO NOT f*ck with that dude" . I have been in very few fights. Reasons include my moves. I could put Arn old Schwartzegger on his ass, once, until he figures out how I do it. Just realize when that happens there is a window of time when you are totally vu lnerable and all I have to do is drop my knee with my body weight on your n eck and you are dead.

Friend of mine has this motorcycle. It was in his garage which had swinging doors sand for the winter his car was in front, you can barely get in or o ut, his bike is not coming out. The car in the way, well we didn't need tha t. We got cars, motorcycles not so much. So we picked up the back of the ca r and moved it and he went riding. Came back, I got on it. I don't ride but I know how. He had a V twin Honda, 350. Separate carbs of course and had t he linkge where I could crank one but not the other. One cylinder is not wo rking.

I ran that down to a bad coil and of course had him get a set of points bec ause those things do not go open, they short out. So I got the thing fixed, started it and showed him both cylinders working, I didn't charge him for three reasons. He was a friend, he always shared with me and he was just a crazy like me.

He gets back from his ride around the block or whatever and he is white as as a sheet. Shaking. Sits down for a few minutes and regains his composure and says "I am selling the, I will kill myself on it".

I dunno, if I already did this sorry but it is a true story.

Jack and I did some contractor work, house remodeling. One job we did the u pstairs and that meant a new bathroom up there, all new wiring and walls, i nsulation, the whole nine yards. A couple time Jack or I carried two sheets or drywall that are tapped together but decided later to just do it togeth er. So two at a time it went up to the second floor.

Years later the guy calls back and wants us to do the downstairs. I guess w e can do that. Jack's job he makes the deal and the kids gut the place. Act ually doing that they lost a piece for a fireplace insert that cost us $800 . But that is not the point. Later we got the drywall for the downstairs an d get the boys to carry it in.

They were stripping the tape off the sides and bring one single sheet at a time. These young strapping young Men are sitting here and this guy twice t heir age and this guy twice their age grabs two of them still together, tak es them out the truck, up the porch steps and puts them with the rest.

Labor saving devices. Are they really such a good idea ?

Reply to
jurb6006

The kids are great, except that they don't know anything and mostly haven't learned to think. It's our job to fix that.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Ignorance is curable; stupidity and laziness aren't.

Over here the education system has shifted during my lifetime towards thinking rather than rote memorisation. It is, as you would expect, difficult to determine the success of that, but I'm inclined to think it has been beneficial.

Notably the rabid brexiteers (especially Michael Gove) are very disparaging about not learning such "important" facts as the names of all the English monarchs. But then al electorate that can think critically is an impediment to their getting their own way.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Some kids are good, some not. Same with every age group.

In our generation(s) we had nothing to do unless we found an interest. Eith er you found something or withered of boredom, year after year. Now kids ar e kept busy with phones, computers etc, so that motivation is a lot less th ere. Result: a lot less practical interested motivated people.

It's hard to believe looking back that large numbers of kids stood around f or ages waiting to see a train, that really was the level of utter boredom we had that drove some to do that.

Also the level of poverty today is nothing like it was. They just assume th ey will always have what we struggled for. That's another big motivator gon e.

The young are taught to be dependant now, basically by various interests th at want their money or to control them politically. We weren't so much. We can tackle that only partially.

There are other factors that are our society's fault, but it's hard to see how any one of us can solve them.

  1. the risk-terrified culture prohibits all sorts of useful skill learning. Mechanics, electrics, cars, & more are all regarded with great fear now.
  2. the risk fearing culture prohibits any learning from strangers, which ha s bad results as well as good.
  3. Practicality is right out of fashion.

Lazy is sometimes curable with the right motivation. As for stupid, who was not a dumb youngster once? Yet we learn.

Modern parents to try shield their kids from life's motivations, which does not strike me as good for them.

I have never had any use for such a list ever. It was completely obvious at the time that that & many other school topics & entire subjects were 100% a waste of time. I do wonder what good useful things I could have learnt if basic sense had intervened in the education I received.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

** Only with great difficulty - like cancer.

** Laziness is curable, with enough motivation applied.

** Never worked on you - pal.

** The worst fools think they think.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Hmmm... If you can push a car at those speeds, why bother burning gas?! Save the planet, push your car... lol

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C