Today's gadget request...

I stuck with Genesis (the original) and Gentle Giant type stuff. Screw disco and Van Halen.

Larry Fast Synergy series is pretty cool stuff too.

Reply to
Copacetic

What - an item you and I have in common?

By any chance, do you have familiarity with "Hi-NRG", a signifant subgendre of disco that is almost-arguably-somewhat a music gendre of its own?

Don Klipstein

Joel Koltner wibbled on Wednesday 21 April 2010 02:21

That's about a stupid as when Belkin sold a router that redirected every x% of HTTP requests and shoved an unsolicited advert down your pipe. Boy, did they suffer for that (and fix the "problem" after someone on Slashdot broke the story and someone else posted a senior Belkin manager's email address :->>>

--
Tim Watts

Tim Watts

The new Western Digital My Book World Edition II seems like the most interesting device in the low cost range. TwonkyMedia UPnP server, iTunes server, CIFS, AFP, NFS, HTTP, and FTP. If that's not enough, you can SSH into it and do whatever you wish to the tiny Linux computer inside. Make sure it's the new model starting with WDH. The older WDG models are non-functional.

On the expensive end of the spectrum, a Mac Mini Server is quite attractive. Plug it in, click through some setup pages, and 90% of the agonizing task of creating a full home or small office server is already done. Works with BT headsets to be an internet phone. Add an Elgato tuner and it's an HD DVR with lossless recording.

Kevin McMurtrie

imple

nd

ted text -

I'm waiting for some company to come out with a "green" outlet strip. Green, as in grass - not one that actually saves any energy. I can almost see the marketing hype now....

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

I've seen them for sale around Christmas time -- apparently no one has had the thought to market them as an Earth Day product as well! ;-)

Reply to
Joel Koltner

I have a green-colored power strip, with a remote foot switch, for my Christmas tree lights... made by Stanley. ...Jim Thompson

I bought many really nice outlets strips which included full filtering at a local home center some years ago. The price was a bargain and I bought at least 4 of them. GREEN is the color. The GREEN cords were extra long with sideway ac plugs for putting against the wall. Outlets on the top and sides so you can attach wall transformers sitting up in the air. Also had phone and coax safty filtering. They are the greatest. I guessed they were a discontinued product since the price was so low, and I think a famous brand which I would have to look up.

greg

Reply to
GregS

This is my favorite power strip:

Note really cheap, and definitely overkill at times (of the perhaps dozen power strips I have, only 2 are these), but for those places where you really need a lot of outlets and have numerous wall-warts, it's hard to beat!

Tiger Direct once closed out these:

...for something like $15/ea, and I ended up with something like 3. Quality-of-workmanship is a bit shoddy, though -- one came with a busted power switch, and in general the insides are a bit scary looking. For $15 they're a good deal, but not the $27.41 Amazon wants in that link! (One unique feature is that there's a trap door on the bottom and you can neatly wind up the attached power cord if it's longer than you need it.)

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Oh, our fire marshall would probably have a hissy fit :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Paint your power strip green and call the EPA and ask for a rebate. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Add a gasoline engine and it too can be "Energy Star" rated.

Reply to
krw