Theory of ball bearing motor

Hi, I built one of these ball bearing motors and it works. The going theory of propulsion is heat expansion, I'd like to see other theories considered. (magnetic)

A question I have, If two parallel wires are carrying current in the same direction, do the wires attract or repel? (Two parallel wires as in two parallel ball bearings)

Reply to
amdxjunk

Good guess. But they attract.

John

To bunch up in the center would produce an electric field, due to positive charge nearer the surface and negative charge nearer the center. This field tends to keep the charges equally distributed. But there is a bunching effect, where (at DC) the force toward the center due to the magnetic field is balanced by the force away due to that electric field.

--
--Larry Brasfield
email: donotspam_larry_brasfield@hotmail.com

They repel.

--
John Fields
Professional Circuit Designer

Do any "isotropic piezoelectric" materials exist?

Reply to
Aubrey McIntosh, Ph.D.

--
Homopolar?
Reply to

Well, Pride Week *is* coming.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

--
Yup! Thanks.
Reply to

i think the heating expanding ball theory totaly explains it, any magnetic thoery would require motion in one direction as it is driven from dc.

however if you put a large magnet in the axis of the spindle in between the ball bearings this would make a unipolar motor.

Colin =^.^=

Reply to
colin

... wouldn't the life expectancy of such a motor be rather short?

Mainly due to the contact of the ball bearings degrading quickly and becoming a high resistance?

John

Reply to
John Smith

same

I would of guesed they atract but i wasnt sure i was going to look it up, then i remembered that if u have a superconductor, a wire carying a curent would induce a curent in the oposite direction and repel, so curents in the same direction must atract. if this is the case how come electrons traveling down a wire dont all bunch up in the center instead of moving to the edge like they do at RF ?

Colin =^.^=

Reply to
colin

same

the

Ooops yes thats the one, also ... actualy i think the ball races would need to rotate in oposite directions. so i gues the shaft would need to be split in the center with a simple bearing.

its like a farady disc at each end. i had thought of building such a thing to see what hapened.

the balls in the cages act like the wire that dangled down in the mercury (asuming the cages were plastic), the outer shell acts like the mercury contact.

its amusing some of the hype about free energy from these sorts of machines.

Colin =^.^=

Reply to
colin

direction, do the wires attract or >repel?

And the truth is that parallel wires carrying current in the same direction--

attract [ ] repel [ ]

Check one only :-)

Reply to
amdxjunk

direction, do the wires attract or >repel?

And the truth is that parallel wires carrying current in the same direction--

attract [ ] repel [ ]

Check one only :-)

Reply to
amdxjunk

up,

curent

the

traveling

edge

aha, of course :)

Colin =^.^=

Reply to
colin

--
Reply to
John Fields

John, that depends on your definition of short. I have ran mine a total of about 40 seconds. Not continuously though! ;-)

Reply to
amdxjunk