the selectron

Hi, I was thinking of a component selector mainly for op amps as its been asked about a few times, but could be usefull for anything, many times ive spent ages trying to look through datasheets trying to find the best component to use. the name selectron came to mind wich incidently is an old type of tube.

The idea is to have a realy good html based lookup table where you can enter certain design parameters such as supply voltage, bandwidth, source resistance, error/noise budget etc etc, and it works out the relative performance of each device and lists them in that order, involves a bit of maths but it isnt that complicated.

With each basic device type could be a list of the types with different packages more channels etc.

The main idea is to have it as a joint effort, it probably wouldnt be too much for someone to initialy write the lookup table, it could then be modified/improved by others, but how to make it so that devices can be added simply by writing a short file with the device parameters in without the need for some administrator to update the whole thing and re issue it all before you could make use of the latest parts, would the wiki environment be any use for this ?

If everyone added a few of their favourite parts pretty soon it would be a cool list for not that much effort on anyones part.

Ive not realy got the energy spare atm to do much more than just think of the idea.

Colin =^.^=

Reply to
colin

Have you tried any of these?

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

asked

find

Thanks a few to look at (>161,000). I just tried the texas site, I looked at a device I was interested in, then I looked at the catagory it was in but when I listed everything in that catagory it wasn't even there. its still listed as active but maybe they dont like people buying it ?

Colin =^.^=

Reply to
colin

Most manufacturers have "parametric search" engines. They range from the barely passable to total junk.

Many poor features:

(1) You can't sort by price, or availability, or package.

(2) You can't sort by the particular parameter you're interested in.

(3) You can never have it sort by any figure of merit you're interested in, like millivolts of offset per $, or MHz/ma.

(4) Even if you could, at least 10% of the op amps had their offset voltage typed in in volts, the rest in millivolts. Or bias current in microamps, except when it's picoamps, they scale it into amps!

----------------

I usually use digi-key's parametric selector. It's far from perfect but better than most, and cuts across all manufacturers. Still, it's a long way from a 21-st century George Jetson selector.

Reply to
Ancient_Hacker

asked

Yep, agree with al that, I always get ao frustrated when Im looking for a better op amp than the ones I have at hand. I always start making a list of parts with their brief specs but never realy gets far enough to be usefull at a later stage. and slew rates get scaled too, I once got excited about a 7500v/us slew rate only to find it was 7500v/s ! not to mention numbers are sorted alphabeticaly not numericaly and also are entered as say 1mv or 1000uv wich apear miles apart.

Farnell seem to have the best search engine so far, but half the devices have no parameters entered, I often find the part I want and find Farnel have it but their parametric search doesnt find it.

If all the essential details of a part could put in a sensible format and accessed from html it would be easy to select whatever you want to sort them by with javascript.

Colin =^.^=

Reply to
colin