THE NEW "LOOK" OF SUPER CONDUCTIVITY

Ames Laboratory Discovery Sheds New Light on 70 Years of Textbook Physics. I got the info from

Can any one give me a clear elucidation?

Reply to
jerryhuge

I doubt it but I do have a couple of comments.

In case metals, the crystals at the surface try to form such that they make a repeating pattern of atoms along the surfaces of the mold. This is because such patterns lower the energy of the state.

In a superconductor, the areas carrying a magnetic field can't also be a super conductor at the same time. If there is a magnetic field, there are areas of normal like the holes in the material. Normally the magnetic lines of force are in their lowest energy state when they are spread uniformly. This would make all of the super conductor be in its higher energy state if it was allowed to happen. This means that some state that will have holes will be found to have the lowest energy.

Since the magnetic field goes all the way through the material, there is a strong effect from how the areas have arranged thems selves on the volume in the middle. It doesn't surprise me, therefor, that the pattern depends strongly on the shape.

Reply to
MooseFET