The Big Ones

Great book

I enjoyed this book.

I stumbled on to it, started flipping through it and got hooked. It's very interesting and well written. This guy was a great engineer. He hits it all science, technology, methodology, and economics. It was written before World War I, so it's historical but it's still the first step in making bio fuels so it's still relevant. It reminds of going to one of those manufacturing museums with a lot more detail.

Reply to
Wanderer

What do you like about it?

Cheers

Phil "too many books, too little time" Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

It has chapters on the great disasters of history, starting with Pompeii, and includes some I never heard of. Barcelona. Iceland. Tokyo. But it's really about the interaction between events and people, and how (in)accurately people assess risks and assign blame.

Evolution of plate tectonics, too. I didn't realize how important the

1906 San Francisco quake was. The fault here is clearly visible and offset about 20 feet in the quake, also clearly visible.

And good writing.