Tensile strength

I am trying to estimate tensile strength of different materials. Basically, if i drill two 1/4 holes on a sheet and pull it apart, at what point will it break?

Assuming 50,000 PSI for steel and 10,000 PSI for 1/4" plastic:

16 ga: 50,000 / 16 = 3000 pounds 1/4" plastic: 10,000 / 4 = 2500 pounds

Is that corretc?

Reply to
Ed Lee

Why drill holes?

--

John Larkin      Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin

Should i multiple the width of the sheet and divide the diameter of the hole:

I.e. For 12" sheet with 1/4" holes:

16 ga: 50,000 / 16 * 12 / 4 = 1000 pounds 1/4" plastic: 10,000 / 4 * 12 / 4 = 800 pounds
Reply to
Ed Lee

For supporting brackets, the point is to estimate how strong they are.

Reply to
Ed Lee

I'd expect the situation to be far more complex than your math suggests. What goes in the holes? Rods? Bolts? Bolts with washers? How much wider than the holes is the material?

Better to test and derate.

--

John Larkin      Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin

The geometry is too complicated. There will be a stress concentration at the sides of the holes, which will lead to cracking as the metal deforms. Also there are a few parameters that are loosely called 'tensile strength': Young's modulus, yield stress, and ultimate tensile stress.

There are calculators available on the web for this, I think.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Sideway stress. Washer won't matter.

Of course will test it, but trying to estimate first.

I guess there are two issues:

  1. The 1/4 hole start to tear
16 ga: 50,000 / 16 / 4 = 800 pounds 1/4" plastic: 10,000 / 4 / 4 = 600 pounds

  1. The 12" sheet tear apart

16 ga: 50,000 / 16 * 12 = 36000 pounds 1/4" plastic: 10,000 / 4 * 12 = 30000 pounds
Reply to
Ed Lee

OK, i guess washer matter, like John said.

Where?

Reply to
Ed Lee

It's way more complex than the above calculations indicate.

Start with: .

But also see the various steel design handbooks for the nitty-gritty practical details.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

If you intend to drill holes, and insert pins to take the load, it's not TENSILE strength that limits you, it's COMPRESSIVE strength, as the material crushes against the force-taking pins. The high stress points, like those pins, are the breaking points (and fatter holes for the pins lowers the stress, if you fit fatter pins in those holes)

Reply to
whit3rd

Perhaps both compression and tensile. Tensile strength is what's keeping the materials to tear apart.

Yes, that's what i am trying to figure out. How many bolts and what sizes.

Reply to
Ed Lee

for one.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

usually near the holes :)

This is stuff you can look up. I think that by volume most plastics are weaker than most steels.

The arithmetic seems sound you archaic units are meaninless to me.

--
  Jasen.
Reply to