Technical authoring for the general public.

If you write for the general public you have to employ the old school master's trick of tell 'em what you're gonna say, then tell 'em and then tell 'em what you said.

Don't be clever. Don't avoid cliches. Don't be elegant. Dilute the information in as much noise as possible. The manual must be at least and inch thick.

This is why current movies have the "incidental music" wound up to maximum: to hide the useless scripts and then add maximum background FX to hide them both.

Cheers Robin

Reply to
Robin

Robin ha escrito:

I`m not experienced enough to post on practically every thread here, but this is the exception. When I try to explain something technical to general public, I fail miserably, and I don`t excuse myself for being correct and argue that the general public is stupid, I take it as a personal failure that I still need to overcome. Hence I agree 100% with you, you tips are on spot, but there are rather troublesome to implement, if you have the disease then this is the cure, but it`s not as easy as you may think to put those tips to practice. I know that I still can`t.

Reply to
leo2100

I get paid to teach technical subjects in multi day seminars; however my experience is that the best teaching is done in single 50 minute lectures. If you can't get it done in that time you aren't chopping it up into right sized pieces.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

--
If your teaching style is anything like your writing style, I\'d
suggest that you shorten your "lectures" to about 10 minutes since

Really? And exactly how successful have YOU been as a technical trainer?

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

--
Pretty successful.

I designed and taught courses in AutoCAD and basic electronics for
the US Army as well as training all of the technicians who have
worked for me over the years.
Reply to
John Fields

And I've taught all aspects of Unix, C as a first language, and several other subjects. All with great feedback. My students paid for their courses, they didn't have to be ordered to attend.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

So, which is the electronics question?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I think Robin's just sniveling about the quality[1] of tech manuals and stuff these days.

To really communicate, all you have to do is say your stuff in terms that the target audience can understand.

But, then again, I was raised by a professional salesman, so I'm probably preternaturally glib. ;-)

Cheers! Rich [2] or lack thereof.

Reply to
Rich Grise

--
Mine either.

So you\'re a fucking faggot "programmer"???
Sheesh...  I should have known...
Reply to
John Fields

Programmers aren't faggots. Electricians are men. Designers are faggots.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

--
_Some_ programmers are faggots.

_Some_ electricians are women and some are faggots.

_Some_ designers are faggots.
Reply to
John Fields

sheesh, all this concern about faggots who cares?

I worry more about people who dont enjoy cricket

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Some like them roasted and covered in chocolate.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

I thought french quisine wasnt welcome on sed.

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

I like the sound they make when you step on one.

-- Service to my country? Been there, Done that, and I've got my DD214 to prove it. Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell Central Florida

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

--