TEC cooler opinion?

Hi all, Here's my latest project; I'm making a wine cooler for the garage. We live on the west coast of Canada, the garage temp varies between -15C in the winter to almost 40C in the summer - with a hot car parked in it. It needs to cool in the summer, heat in the winter & hopefully maintain a ~18C temp. The inside dimensions will be ~8 cubic feet (2" foam insulation). I'm cooling/heating it with a Peltier H-bridge circuit (TI - UC3638 chip - SLUA202A app note & yes I will change the CS resistors & yada-yada for a higher current draw).

Question; I was thinking of using 2 - 80 watt Peltier junctions, connected in parallel, mounted on rectangular heat sinks (fans on both sides). Any advantage/disadvantage of using 2 - 80W units as opposed to one

170 Watt unit?

Am I missing anything?

PS: downloaded the Melcor Aztec Peltier calculator & one 80W junction should be overkill, but redundancy is always nice.

Thanks in advance! B

Reply to
bart

The whole project is overkill. The usual approach would be a hole in the ground. Dig some 6 feet and burry a box there. No electricity needed.

Rene

Reply to
Rene Tschaggelar

A basement would actually be ideal but unfortunately we live in a high groundwater area and digging a hole would soon result in a pool. Thanks for the swell advice anyway.

Reply to
bart