synch. or non-synch voltage reg? what's the difference?

Hi guys, I would like to know the difference between synchronous and non-synchronous switching voltage regulators. Can someone help me?

Greetings.

Reply to
Franco

Maybe I got the answer. Apparently, synchronous Buck SMPS's use 2 MOSFETs instead of 1 MOSFET and 1 clamping diode for the sake of efficiency. The name synchronous come from the fact that the bottom MOSFET (acting as clamping diode) has to be synchronized with the upper one, not to ground the switched voltage.

Reply to
Franco