Sub circuit in Ltspice.

I didn't say it was a circuit, I said it was FDTD. JFGI.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

And as far as bandwidth goes, the PCIe bus makes for fast, HUGE data transfers between video and main RAM as fast as it gets.

They use video cards cores for protein modeling, and seti comm data parsing. I think they can handle a petty OR a complex circuit sim.

Reply to
TheQuickBrownFox

Am 08.10.2012 00:40, schrieb Jim Thompson:

It came with Win7, I now run Win7 / xubuntu 12.04 dual boot. Win7 is mostly ignored.

Xilinx/Sigasi FPGA stuff runs natively under Linux, most other CAD runs in the same XP virtual box that I use at home on the workstation. Just 'import' a 50 Gig file to the virtual box. No ado with licenses. It _is_ the same machine.

The C: partition contains ONLY installed programs; D: of the XP can be seen as D: on win7 and as /d on Linux.

The machine has a drawback: it is quite heavy and can generate some heat if one asks for it.

regards, Gerhard

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

Yeah, as shitty as the last two Ubuntu releases have been, I am sure you are spending most of your time learning their 'new' 100% pathetic, "Unity" 'desktop'.

Biggest mistake they ever made. Good luck with that.

XUBUNTU is far better.

Big whoop. Under Linux the 'stuff' runs at whatever run time it takes to get it done.

Under Windows 7, non-natively, it takes a whole 5 ms longer. Big deal.

I laugh at some of the running around you dorks who "hate Windows" go out of your way to do. Absolutely pathetic.

My machine has about 4TB of HD space, under about 15 partitions.

Sounds like a pre-multi-core POS.

Reply to
MrTallyman

"As fast as it gets" isn't a number.

The bottleneck in FDTD is main memory bandwidth, because you're cycling through all allocated memory many many times, so you get a lot of cache misses. Good caching will help with the main memory latency, because most accesses are to contiguous memory if you've coded it right.

Did you look up FDTD? What do you think about it?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Somebody mentioned this a while back, but in case anybody missed it.

It gives Windows 7 (or 8) a more XP like feel.

Reply to
JW

be

the

feeling..

with

Tell you what, let me get my racehorse running (3.6 GHz hex core, 16 GiB RAM, SSD) and we can do some timing tests. Not nearly as powerful as P.Hobbs fast box but should be plenty ok.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

content be

with the

fuzzy feeling..

SPICE

Typically to

along with

parts.

Spice's.

more

only

sims

that. And

confirmations

and

out

Cours

year

RAID

for

(core

hugely

It

more

For pretty much anyone here, that reduces to how much SPICE simulations do you run. If it is a lot, AMD based machines may still have an advantage. Otherwise not much difference, most anything since a 1.4 GHz P4 is overkill unless wasted away by the OS and Desktop.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

done

Intel and

four

of the

memory

future, a

I presume you are aware you are talking to AlwaysWrong.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

Dell. It

more

USB-3,

both

RAID.

server.

I am presuming you installed the VM subsystem as required.

It is starting to sound like it is time for VirtualBox w/ qemu or whatever else is needed.

Reply to
josephkk

Am 08.10.2012 14:29, schrieb MrTallyman:

--------------------------

-----------------------

reading problems??

So what. My laptop has 1 TB of SSD. I win.

And as much USB3-attached storage as I might want. And 2 external sata-3 ports.

4 * 2 cores.
Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

You sure do, you retarded little Zimmerman complex ridden bitch.

snipped totally retarded Joe_Seph_KKK stupidity.

You need to grow up, Joe_Seph_KKK. Your Nazi Stupidity is showing, again.

The video card GPU engine would perform this task as well or better.

As for the PC, I use ECC RAM. It is an old machine.

Modern machines use DDR3 Quad arrays. Probably don't even need ECC. Certainly don't seem to have the time for it.

Video cards have higher on-board memory bandwidth even than the slot they are plugged into, much less the PC RAM on the other side of that.

Way faster. He mentioned bottlenecks. Put that in your brain domain,

Reply to
MrTallyman

Mr many-nyms? Sure. However, I don't like to give up on people, and I like technical discussion.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

the

feeling..

with

Well, horses for courses. LTspice can use multiple threads, so you can run stuff faster on multicore CPUs, unless there's something horribly broken about it. That really only matters if you're doing dense multidimensional sweeps, or looking at crystal oscillator startup transients.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I very much prefer the 4:3 screen shape--I don't watch movies, so I resent losing that 2 inches off the top of my laptop screen. They don't make those anymore, so I standardized on Thinkpad T42p-T43s. (Sort of like Pease and his '68 VWs.) The T4x machines don't have the hardware support for virtualization that you need for XP mode.

Google Qemu/KVM. It's a more capable virtualization system than VirtualBox, except that it doesn't run OS/2, which I'd still like to have.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I'm not a big fan of 16:9, either. In fact it's the worst of the possibilities. At least you *can* still get 16:10 monitors, though they're pricey. I'm considering going the other direction; to a 12.6" convertible laptop/tablet. I generally use an external monitor when I'm doing anything for any period of time and the tablet feature seems to be a good option when I'm mobile. The size certainly makes it more mobile.

Reply to
krw

If only you (or anybody) could actually get that from AlwaysWrong. I tire of the nastiness much too fast.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

Dell. It

more

8

and

simulations do

advantage.

Oh yeah, I nearly nuked a computer doing a multidimensional sweep a few months ago, 14 hours run time and i then killed it. Wasn't nearly as big a computer as your dual 8 core.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

He and I get on fine, usually. It's amazing how much easier it is to get along with people when you aren't trying to put them down.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs