strategies for high voltage on PCB, wire terminals

Not sure it's really "up"-- just looks stable compared to AUD, GBP, EUR, NZD etc. Presumably those boring balanced budgets at work.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Yes, excellent chocolate. ;-)

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Was it good chocolate?

--
Former professional electron wrangler.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Sounds like a good deal to me! :-)

--
Former professional electron wrangler.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"Spehro Pefhany" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

I bet. But can it compete with the change from hard currency notes that are given in topless bars? ;-)

--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove \'q\' and \'invalid\' when replying by email)

A 'mil' is a short way of saying 'milli-inch'. It's also how the thickness of plastic film is spec'd. To a machinist, a thou is a thousandth or an inch, AKA a mil. a "tenth" is 0.0001 = 1/10000.

$1000 is a "grand." ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Just don't use a soldering GUN! Use a 25-watt pencil, or maybe 40-watt iron, if you're soldering AWG 14 or fatter. Connectors can be convenient if you're planning on taking it apart a lot; otherwise, I'd go ahead and solder them.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

There's a nicely restored Victorian in my neighborhood, 3 small bedrooms, on the standard 24-foot-wide lot. It has a two-car garage courtesy of a hydraulic lift system that stacks the cars. Asking 1.7 megabucks.

John

was

The classic pre-WWII ratio was about 5:1

John

That's right- same region, different domains. I use "mil" when I'm talking about PCBs and "thou" when I'm talking about metal.

We use mils for money too. As in "they just bought a fixer-upper in Rosedale for one-point-four mil".

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Not sure, the price of the medium cup of regular coffee I buy many mornings has gone up from 2.5uH to 3.0uH in recent times.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

If you consider the uH (micro-house) as a unit of value, it has some interesting results. Most things are getting cheaper, including all the major currencies.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Well..... The idea of a milli *inch* seems so obscure to us metricated ppl who are

95% or so of the world population.

Yeah - ok I use inches too - but not *officially* - lol. All mech drgs here are marked in m and mm.

I have actually seen discussions where US mils got ppl confused who thought they meant mm.

This doesn't happen if you call it a thou. That's really my point.

Btw - I have no difficulty differentiating between a thousandth of an inch and a thousand pounds ! Hmmm - that's about 1873 USD currently ! I never imagined the pound would ever rise against the dollar to that degree. I can recall when it was a ratio of 3 : 1 too.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

The other day it occurred to me - when my Granddad built a house, everybody built their own house - it cost mainly labor, maybe about a month's wages worth. Around the time my folks were buying a house, a house could be had for about a year's wages. When I bought a house, they were going for about three years' wages. Nowadays, they're about ten years' wages.

I wonder if that's merely exponential, or asymptotic, like taxes/ inflation?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Depends on where you want to live (and how much money you make.)

John

3 uH is a lot for a cup of coffee, no wonder you're getting oscillations against the...wait, wrong thread.

-- Rob

Reply to
Rob Gaddi

Mine has dropped marginally over 10-15 years from 2uH to 1.8uH.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

A month's wages? ...must have been a small house or your GF had a quite nice job. My parent's house was more like a year's salary, and he did much of the work himself. The house I live in now is likely worth a bit more than two-years, with the land value half of the value.

Taxes (both direct and hidden) are a far higher portion of my salary than they were for my parents. My property tax alone is over 5% of my salary (and increasing at 6-10%/year).

--
  Keith
Reply to

So, you're saying wages have dropped from 0.3H to 0.1H from when you bought a house to now. If you could sell it now, you wouldn't have to work for the next decade or so. ;-)

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

One of the things that have caused the huge increase in the cost of big-city housing is the women's movement. Now there are lots if twinkies (two incomes, no kids) bidding for houses. Nowadays a guy may make 70K as an airline mechanic and his wife (or equivalent) makes 70K as a nurse, and they are bidding against everybody else. Food and cars and stuff are fairly cheap, interest rates are low, income tax is high, so they can put almost half of their income into mortgage payments. So they'll bid $750K for a house that would be worth a fourth of that in Warren, Ohio or somewhere like that. Part of it is speculation, of course, like the 1990's stock market.

John