Strange Russian Transmitter Circuit

** First of all, it runs from the AC supply, 220V and 50Hz.

The device marked "M" looks like some kind of motor.

I reckon it could be a radio jammer, intended to stop the good citizens of mother Russia from listening to evil propaganda arriving on shortwave from the west.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Close but no bananas :)

It is t === Cut === Schematics of "Pulsar" device for wideband jamming of PSYCHOTRONIC (zic!) transmitter signals in 1.7..4.5MHz (?) and 2.0..???(can not see what it is) band. . . . Weak electromagnetic field generated by "Pulsar" erases recipient's reflectory memory (whatever it is :)) codes (zic!) i.e. causes decoding (whatever it is :)) === Cut ===

So this looks like active tinfoil hat replacement :)

And that "M" device is not a motor but a fluorescent bulb starter...

*  KSI@home    KOI8 Net  < >  The impossible we do immediately.  *
*  Las Vegas   NV, USA   < >  Miracles require 24-hour notice.   *
Sergey Kubushyn

Do not know Russian at all,but here is my take: At the top, 220V 50Hz. R1: 1-2 ohms, R2: 5K appx at 2Watts. C1: 0.25-0.50uF metal film 400V C2: 2000-6000pF NPO C3: 200-500pF NPO D1,D2: unknown M: ?frequency meter? 80?? at 220? (or part number 80C-220 Tp: tuned transformer secondary The rest is unknown. Wild guess is the diodes are to generate harmonics, and one tunes the transformer secondary; purpose is a cheap high power jamming xmitter.

Reply to
Robert Baer

produces negative resistance and hysteresis

NT

Reply to
meow2222

This seems to be a more modern version of a spark transmitter.

It creates a rough signal pulsed at 100 Hz rate (twice of the power feed frequency). The output frequency range of the buzz is detemined by the tuned transformer at the bottom. There is not enough info of the coil to determine the frequency, but I think that Sergey is well on the track.

As KGB use, I'd think it useful to spoil reception of HF communication of a nearby agent at the target frequency range.

There might be a better output signal if the capacitor in parallel to the starter is left out. It is included in the fluorescent light fixtures to attenuate the RF hash.

--

Tauno Voipio
Reply to

Phil Allison:

Na... it works the other way around, it receives the evil propaganda from the west and makes 220V 50Hz from it to run home appliances... ;-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I dont see the point of the diodes at all, given the characteristics of the glowstarter

NT

Reply to
meow2222

On a sunny day (Sun, 4 Jan 2015 03:35:27 -0800 (PST)) it happened snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote in :

The non-linearity of diodes is often used to generate higher harmonics, not sure what diodes are used here. Those harmonics would also travel via the mains wires, no main decoupling / filtering at all.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

surely they'd have a tiny effect compared to the glowstarter

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Can anyone please have a look at this circuit and tell me what it is doing, or supposed to do?

Better yet if you can decipher the parts in Russian.

It is supposed to be some kind of "secret" device from the 1950's.

Maybe some kind of radio tracking gadget. Would be interesting to calculate the frequency used.

Claus Jensen

Reply to
cjensen

On a sunny day (Sun, 4 Jan 2015 08:54:09 -0800 (PST)) it happened snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote in :

I think the glowstarter ? is merely a switch. It probably arcs a bit and creates some harmonics, but not like a true spark gap in a horn. To activate that tuned circuit you need spectral components IN its frequency range. Remember the old 'anti rattle capacitors' over the rectifiers in old radios? The mains generated harmonics from those diodes were right in the radio band! The caps suppressed those.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

its a neon, switch and small capacitor in parallel. Most liekly the circuit eats much less than 20w, thus the starter will act as ne & c in paarallel, the switch staying open

The ne will switch on at 90v and off each half cycle

all you need is a squarish edge.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

On a sunny day (Sun, 4 Jan 2015 11:18:23 -0800 (PST)) it happened snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote in :

Not exactly. A square wave has mainly odd harmonics For 50 Hz switching the more harmonics fit in the bandwidth, the more noise in that band. Adding diodes creates more 50 Hz harmonics.

Just connecting a voltage and then disconnecting and letting the the LC run a damped oscillation is just a dying tone at one frequency really.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

it is

0's.

unes the

tter.

cs of the glowstarter

ics,

ct as ne & c in paarallel, the switch staying open

quency range.

The transformer is an LC tank. Anything that causes a perturbance in it wil l get it to oscillate a bit, passively. The neon turning on at 90v will giv e it a good kick.

The neon will be o/c at any time the diodes contemplate turning off, diodes thus have no effect at all on circuit behaviour.

un a damped oscillation

Precisely. You also get all the frequencies in the squarish edge, albeit at a low duty cycle. Any negative resistance tendency from the neon will help things too - to what extent I don't know.

You get broadband hash from arc transmitters, and that's exactly what this is. The arc is tiny inside the neon. Arc transmitters are pretty well untun able. The LC arrangement may increase output around one frequency, but isn' t enough to get a continuous rf tone, so it spits out junk all over the pla ce.

I'm wondering why the circuit's more complex than just: RC ballast neon coil & C

If this is 1950s and soviet, the diodes would probably be copper oxide or s elenium. I still can't see them doing anything the neon isnt already doing. The neon is working much like a back to back diode pair with Vdrop of 60v, plus some neg-R.

I also wonder why they bothered with a real earth, when a mains conductor c ould have been used.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

On a sunny day (Mon, 05 Jan 2015 08:10:19 -0800) it happened snipped-for-privacy@netplus.com wrote in :

Maybe some spice Xpert here could have a go...

Probably global nuculear [w]arming :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

So they thought they needed an antidote for being subliminally influenced by mind-programming signals on a short wave carrier.

Today we have GSM networks. Works much better and they are illegal to jam.

Claus Jensen

Reply to
cjensen

On a sunny day (Sun, 4 Jan 2015 13:09:20 -0800 (PST)) it happened snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote in :

Last night, before falling asleep, I think I figured out the rest of the 'why' of this circuit:

1) the diodes cause harmonics of 50 Hz every zero crossing of the mains, this is transformed to the RF tuned circuit, and then transmitted via the antenna. Mainly odd harmonics, but there is a lot of slow rise etc, so probably even harmonics too. This gives an annoying AM (sideband every 50 Hz) rattle. 2) the FL starter tube (or whatever you call) it interrupts this at irregular intervals, mostly in the second or part thereof range.

The purpose of (2) is to f*ck up the AM receiver AGC.

Normally when you only jam with that AM rattle, you could get used to it, or even filter it out afterwards, I used an elliptical filter to remove 60 Hz with harmonics from a long audio recording from some conference.

But now when the jam signal is cut, the receiver AGC will turn the gain up so the remote political brain wash is made audible. Just after the gain reaches near maximum,,, the jammer comes in with full strength (locally). BRBRBRBRBRBRBRBBRBBrBrrbrbrbrbrsilence(AGC gain now low)this is the voice of A(hardly audible if at all) BRBRBRBRBRBRBRBRBRBRBBrBrbrbrbrbrb etc etc etc. Very hard to listen to that without ear damage,,, Manual AGC does not help a lot either, you still need the gain to hear far away stations, and need fading compensation on short wave.

So its simple, its effective.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

The neon switches with 90v steps 4 times a cycle. The diodes switch with whatever their Vdrop is 4 times a cycle. Presumably here's how it works: When the neon's conducting, C to the mains is C1 = 0.25-0.5uF When the neon's oc, C to the mains is C3 = 200-500pF So probably the 2 switching devices cause different resonant frequencies in the LC tank.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Having read the responses so far, it seems like this little circuit has been pretty well thought out and rationalized for a deliberate purpose.

Not really the mark of a "bogus" device.

Is anyone who understands it better than I do game to put one together and see what it actually does?

Remember, the Cold War is coming back.

Klaus Jensen

Reply to
cjensen

Not forgetting the anywhere from 30-70% of the time that the neon is short-circuited by the bi-metal switch that got warmed by the neons glow. As Jan P wrote the irregularity of that would drive listeners crazy.

Admirably clever/devious/evil circuit.

piglet

Reply to
piglet