State- of-the-art robotics?

Hi. I'm a Swedish science journalist preparing an article about state- of-the-art robotics. Any tips of where I can find ground-breaking work done in this field? Best regards Svante

Reply to
the.swant

"State-of-the-art" is a term made up by a marketing drone. Technologists don't use it.

Reply to
JeffM

Robotics is a silly fad that college kids like to play with. I guess the professors figure it will capture their interest.

Some things, like industrial welding machines and machining centers, are useful robots. And the things that crawl through pipes and gun down bad guys. But most robotic gadgets are just silly. Read some old Popular Mechanics mags from the 1950's or so if you want to see the state of the art in robotics and especially robotics journalism; it hasn't changed much. Seriously.

John

And AI is still 50 years away

martin

Reply to
Martin Griffith

Unfortunately, Artificial Stupidity is all too real.

--
aioe.org is home to cowards and terrorists

Add this line to your news proxy nfilter.dat file
* drop Path:*aioe.org!not-for-mail to drop all aioe.org traffic.

http://improve-usenet.org/index.html
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Careful, Carnivore is listening.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Not disagree a lot with your general thrust but the answer to this question depends a lot on how you define a Robot.

Human form helpers and companions don't appear to be much closer than they were decades ago, although then can walk better.

If your definition of robots allows industrial welding robots and pipe inpection robots though things look a little different. Certainly industrial robots have improved steadily in capacity and capability. And if you include welding robots I think you would have to include CNCs and AGVs both of which have improved quite a bit. AGVs are now capable of running without guidance tracks as a for instance.

On the line of Robot capability we seem to be somewhere between Heinlen's Waldos and Asimov's three laws.

Svante, come up with a definition of what you mean by robot. Pointers are likely to be a lot more useful then.

Robert

Robert Adsett

--
Nice objective post.  :-)

JF
Reply to
John Fields

A reference to a book or movie?

Mark

Reply to
TheM

Robotic gadgets may be silly, but few serious robotics researchers actually work on gadgets. Even fewer read Popular Mechanics - they prefer books. Go on, give it a try - some books even have pictures.

DARPA Grand Challenge entires are not even slightly silly.

Carnegie Mellon University is the birthplace of many not-too-silly robots:

There are even consumer robots that are not silly:

-- Joe

Reply to
J.A. Legris

MIT has the battle of the killer robots annually ;-)

...Jim Thompson

          Only Hillary Clinton can spin a long-winded lie,
          repeat it regularly, then declare, "I misspoke".
          Pinnochio lives on ;-)

Are you sure about that?

-- Joe

Reply to
J.A. Legris

Technically challenging, if hokey.

You've gotta be kidding. I hope.

Ooh, YouTube and high-tech easter egg hunts. Serious science.

For certain values of "robot."

John

I posted this a few weeks back:

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Carnegie Mellon University is in the forefront of embedded computing. The term "Robot" sucks.

sdeyoreo

J.A. Legris wrote:

A site by lawyers for lawers.

Reply to
JeffM

Here's a few more links:

-- Joe

Reply to
J.A. Legris

Thanks Joe. the link

was very helpful. They certainly got a lot of interesting going on at Carneige.

best /svante

Reply to
the.swant

Thanks,

I suspect the OP is using the definition "I know a robot when I see it."

Robert

Robert Adsett