Square root circuit

--
It's easy to name-call, but much harder to make one's case using
logic and reason, so why don't you show us (schematic, please) how
you'd accomplish all of his goals your way?
Reply to
John Fields

"Schamatic"??? Perhaps the 'h' is superfluous... ;)

I know you live for wiggle room, but just to try to nail things
down, is this what you have in mind?:

    6.95V
     |V1

     O1
     |     2
    [R1] V2 TO IC1-10
     |5k            |
     O3             |
     |              |
     |              |
     O1             |
     |     2        |
    [R2]
Reply to
John Fields

On Thu, 02 Jul 2015 17:34:46 -0700, John Larkin Gave us:

I thought you said that you worked in electronics.

What that little bit of math too much for you?

You are always spouting this diatribe.

And the spelling! Horrendous!

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Wed, 1 Jul 2015 07:16:47 -0700 (PDT), George Herold Gave us:

The trick is the closely matched pair in Q3 and Q4

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

You got it.

Whatever coarse/fine ratio you want. Ask in sci.electronics.basics if you need help.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

It's not too bad with 3 or 4 breakpoints. Use one op-amp per diode, so maybe a quad or a quad + 1 plus some (6 or 8) funny value resistors and a few 10Ks.

Main (design) thing is to decide what a realistic minimum output power requirement is (say 10% or 20% of full power). The slope of sqrt(x) is infinite at zero, so you could waste a lot of parts dealing with low power levels that will not realistically be used.

We used to do this sort of thing quite a bit back before microcontrollers. FWIW, I think you could do this a lot better in a few-dollar Arduino with a few lines of code (use the PWM for the DAC).

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Proprietary.

We did the cryo temp and helium level sensors for the SSC helium plant in Waxahachie [1] and the CEBAF accelarator in Newport News. The diode sensors are scanned to save parts and reduce self-heating. CEBAF temps go below 2K, with the diode drops around 3 volts or something like that.

[1] It was the world's biggest helium liquefaction plant, and I guess it's still there.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Painted yourself into a corner, have you?

What a surprise!

John Fields
Reply to
John Fields

--
A little too close for comfort, huh?

Oh, well, no surprise there...
Reply to
John Fields

You have refused to describe your projects recently, with some original observation about lips and ships.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

On Fri, 03 Jul 2015 10:34:42 -0500, John Fields Gave us:

You should not have revealed that observation. Now he'll "go off" over it.

We'll never see the "schamatic" now, which shouldn't take an engineer of "his caliber" more than twenty minutes to put together. Right? ;-)

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Fri, 03 Jul 2015 09:01:07 -0700, John Larkin Gave us:

His security reservations were, however, factual.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

And you know this how?

Reply to
John S

Are you referring to the fact that this circuit can't reach either of the rails?

--

Rick
Reply to

How could we ever know? He says his work is pro-bono, so it's not National Security stuff.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

On Fri, 03 Jul 2015 11:36:48 -0500, John S Gave us:

He was working on a mil contract, and it was before 'mil spec' got dumped. Pretty much common sense.

Also, he mentioned it.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Fri, 03 Jul 2015 10:08:33 -0700, John Larkin Gave us:

That project was decades ago, but I do not expect you to ever note details properly.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Since you seem to be in short supply of that, I remain skeptical for good reason.

Where? And don't tell me to look it up. It is *your* assertion.

Reply to
John S

I specifically asked him about recent projects. Maybe he has none.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

On Fri, 03 Jul 2015 12:22:20 -0500, John S Gave us:

Did you look at the photo links he provided? (the reference was a long time ago, and JL knew what was referenced.. So what is your problem, child?)

He also described the work in that very post.

You lose... again.

Only cursory glance idiots like you miss the details of any given circumstance. It is a primary part of your character (lack thereof, that is).