speaker isolation

Hello,

I made a portable enclosure for a car radio that has a negative ground but the left and right speaker outputs have isolated grounds from each other and the chassis.

I needed to common out the (-) from the left and right speakers in order to attach them to the common connection on the headphone jack. I successfully connected each of the (-) outputs from the left and right speakers using non-polarized 47 uf electrolytic capacitors and joined the ends of the caps to the headphone jack.

All is well when the jack is floating and un mounted, but when I mount the jack to the chassis, even though the audio output is great, I get annoying loud "clicks" and "pops" when I wiggle the headphone plug/jack, most likely because of the caps discharging/charging.

Other than figuring a way to physically isolate the headphone jack from the chassis, is there a way to drain the charge using resistors, and if so, what values do you suggest?

Thank you for your help,

Ivan

Reply to
Ivan Sedneff

[...]

Oh boy. The speaker outputs from the car stereo are H-bridge type, the return is not grounded but driven. Grounding any lead / part of it will eventually ruin the car stereo output amplifiers. The headphone jack is an even more exotic circuit. Float all the output terminals and just live with it.

--
JosephKK
Gegen dummheit kampfen Die Gotter Selbst, vergebens.

not

If you only need to drive a headphone, you don't need the full power the brigde can deliver. What you can do is connect the each speaker "+" output through a electrolytic capacitor (+ to the output) to the L and R channel of the headphone and connect the common of the headphone to the *ground* of the radio (not to either "-" of the speaker outputs). This way, you only use half of each output bridge.

Meindert

Reply to
Meindert Sprang

About 8 ohms series with each capacitor. lowers the output a bit though.