soldering components on larger sized pads

He should have sensed it with the back of the hand. A 1V drop across a few inches creates noticeable heat.

And the fact that he used a trace to bring in VCC gives me goose bumps.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Although you'd be surprised how much rework is found in regular aeronautical radios ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Joerg wrote in news:_4Gqk.4613$ snipped-for-privacy@flpi143.ffdc.sbc.com:

Oh man, just what I need, *more* stuff to be paranoid about

Reply to
Kris Krieger

"Joel Koltner" wrote in news:FJFqk.46813$ snipped-for-privacy@en-nntp-03.dc.easynews.com:

I guess medical equipment can take quite a beating, esp. if it's portable.

For beginner hobby projects/designs, it's good to know that certain things won't have "terrible" effects, although I'm sure it's best to use good technique if only to make troubleshooting that much easier ;)

Reply to
Kris Krieger

Unless the board was specifically designed for that change, this sounds like a very bad idea.

Reply to
JosephKK

Yeah, like the transmitters for a wireless heart monitor. The shop really didn't like it when one that had fallen into a bedpan came back for repair.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Sure it can, it would simply require staking first.

Reply to
StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

Idiot, even the military uses COTS now, and the assembly standard across the country now is the EIC-A-610.

That standard allows for non-automated hand assembly processes, even on automated assembly designs, and no, it does NOT compromise the integrity of the assembly, or it would not get done.

EVERYTHING I make is mission critical, and if it is not going into a high G force missile or space vehicle booster segment or payload, it can have elements that do not meet that critical spec. ALL of our assemblies pass severe vibrational testing, which you likely do not perform.

Not to be Obama-ish or anything but, I never said you did, but I will say that such operations, incorporated into even the most critical designs, does not constitute any sort of kludge.

You retarded f*ck. Learn to read. Look up the word CUSTOMER. It is the CUSTOMER that defines the process, and acceptability standards. ANY contract assembler will build ANY ASSEMBLY ANY way the CUSTOMER wants it built, piss ant!

Reply to
StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

You're a goddamned retard, Klotzner (Bwuahahahahahaha!). You, nor any of your retarded boyfriends "determined" anything. You could be a bit more retarded, just not in this life.

It depends on the application and physical properties of the via/pad/part trio.

Reply to
StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

Sorry, but there are an entire gamut of SMT operations that are perfectly acceptable, even in his realm, that do not compromise integrity any whatsoever.

If it ain't going on a space shot, it doesn't need to withstand 40Gs.

AND... A tombstoned resistor pair, at ANY form factor IS acceptable, and WILL pass nearly any vibrational test, and has ZERO effect electrically at the location of the implementation.

I think you are both friggin' retarded. You, for the retarded "Didn't 'we' determine..." totally adolescent, baby bullshit remark, and him simply because it's true.

Reply to
StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

Don't worry. The stupid twit contradicts himself pretty often. He'll do it again soon.

Reply to
StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

My response takes a different tack. Resistivity is a volume property. Thus cross section makes a difference, often a big difference. And the cross section to length ratio can dominate huge differences in resistivity. the copper traces are thin (thousandths of an inch or less) and narrow (a few to a few dozen thousandths) whereas a solder bridge may measure tens to hundreds of mils.

Reply to
JosephKK

definitely

that

all

milliohms/ft.

Until a perpendicular crack develops in it ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I've seen worse, like patient interfaces that looked like they came right out of CSI.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

One does NOT design a board "for such a change".

You sound worse than Obama telling stupid DemoTards that we "will just invent something." to "fix" the energy crisis.

Bwuahahahah! "Change to make things better" MY ASS!

Reply to
StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

A number of years ago, I had a problem where, the sensors had dry open collector inputs, and the computer connected to them had dry optoisolator diodes, so I had to jury rig a quick power supply distribution to get power on the cables.

Built it suing a proto board and some resistor networks, but one step was to wire a string of little jumpers from the power trace to the next hole over. Had a tech, and told him to go for it.

He decided that it was too much trouble putting those little snips of wire between the two adjacent holes, so he just bridged them with solder. He then went and installed the power supply into the sensor cable bundles.

Two weeks later, we started getting failures on the sensors. After a couple of hours of panic, traced the problem to the board and found that about a third of his solder bridges had opened up!

-- Charlie Edmondson Edmondson Engineering Inc

Charlie E.