Solar Panel Voltage Regulator

On Friday, July 29, 2016 at 4:07:56 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrot e:

:

ar

el >

if not

ears to

but it

5 Amps
(

, ultra

ng a

should

ay so

ay. The

.

tage

lead acid cell tempco per cell is -2mV/oC, his macro-threshold gets divided by 12, will be hard to be off a few hundred mV cell from the 2.4V full cha rge and it won't amount to a hill of beans. You think the cheap controller is temperature compensated? Really? Show me the thermocouple probe that com es with them.

You're right about the floating. But simply charging to a termination voltage then stopping only uses ~80% of the battery's capacity, and, absent a periodic equalization capability, sulfates the battery.

Bill could terminate on current dropping after hitting topping voltage. That's better for the battery, and it's more robust.

Tempco is -3mV/*C per cell, or -36mV/*C for a 24V battery from the nominal

25*C values. If the desert rat's battery is outside in a solar shack it would be quite easy to be off 400mV. An easy, cheesy temp-compensation is to put a temp-compensated charger in the same environment as the battery. It's not very good, but it doesn't have to be to be a big improvement over no compensation at all.

It's been thirty years since I designed a commercial lead-acid acid charger , so all the above is IIRC / YMMV.

Nice graphs here:

ry

dinately long time to charge the batteries, if not, it makes no difference whether you're operating on the MPP or not. Since as things stand now the p anel overcharges and ruins the battery, there is a good chance the MPP is d oubly a non-consideration.

On a sunny day El Raton might want to run some loads AND charge his battery . Or run a lot of loads plus discharge his battery to meet peak demand, if need be.

Having the capacity doesn't mean you always have to use it, but it also doesn't mean you have to waste it. The man paid for a $180W panel--one assumes he wanted 180W.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Precisely.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

I knew who it was, I just didn't want to broadcast him on the internet.

And you *could* home-brew a charger. Just set it for 2.35V/cell, temp-compensated, and terminate charge when the current drops to

10-20% of full.

Hysteresis should then inhibit charging until the voltage drops below a certain threshold, but without measurement or data, I'm not sure what to recommend.

A switch that lets Harry equalize the battery (2.50 V/cell) twice a year or so would extend the battery's life. (Or shorten it, if Harry forgets and leaves the switch on!)

Sounds plausible. A swamp cooler isn't much more than a fan, load-wise.

Works like a bandit in low humidity. It's a great solution if you're in a desert with water to burn, and a waste of electricity in humid areas where water's aplenty.

(They used swamp coolers in the San Fernando Valley when I was a kid, now banned because of their high water usage.)

"Water, water every where, nor any drop to drink."

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

MPPT helps reduce cell heating, which may prolong their useful life.

Jasen Betts

Confusion huh.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

ote:

te:

olar

anel >

s if not

ppears to

) but it

you

ing

nd 5 Amps

ch (

ut, ultra

sing a

ea should

elay so

elay. The

R1.

age

oltage

e lead acid cell tempco per cell is -2mV/oC, his macro-threshold gets divid ed by 12, will be hard to be off a few hundred mV cell from the 2.4V full c harge and it won't amount to a hill of beans. You think the cheap controlle r is temperature compensated? Really? Show me the thermocouple probe that c omes with them.

nt

r no

er,

tery

Battery University is about as credible as Trump University, i.e. credibili ty rating of zero. Things have changed considerably, there are several vari eties of battery construction and operation out there for solar. The best p ractice is to comply with the specifications of the manufacturer whose batt ery you're using. Looks like the new most common tempco is -5mV/cell, and l ike I said, the real solar installations have controllers with RTS= Remot e Temperature Sensors attached to a representative battery in the pack. The n depending on battery type, the per cell full charge nominal voltage may b e as high as 2.6V, but most are 2.4V.

ordinately long time to charge the batteries, if not, it makes no differenc e whether you're operating on the MPP or not. Since as things stand now the panel overcharges and ruins the battery, there is a good chance the MPP is doubly a non-consideration.

ry.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

On Sunday, July 31, 2016 at 11:03:41 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wro te:

e:

rote:

.

ltage

voltage

and

The lead acid cell tempco per cell is -2mV/oC, his macro-threshold gets div ided by 12, will be hard to be off a few hundred mV cell from the 2.4V full charge and it won't amount to a hill of beans. You think the cheap control ler is temperature compensated? Really? Show me the thermocouple probe that comes with them.

sent

nal

is

y.

ver no

attery

lity rating of zero.

If you have a more accurate graph or a specific correction, a link would be more useful than a random ad hominem.

construction and operation out there for solar. The best practice is to com ply with the specifications of the manufacturer whose battery you're using. Looks like the new most common tempco is -5mV/cell, and like I said, the r eal solar installations have controllers with RTS= Remote Temperature Sen sors attached to a representative battery in the pack. Then depending on ba ttery type, the per cell full charge nominal voltage may be as high as 2.6V , but most are 2.4V.

PowerSonic's technical info is quite good, but I'm not sure it fully applie s to El Raton's car batteries. PowerSonic shows a dual-rate charger schemati c using jelly-bean parts that Bill could easily get.

Manual-Lo.pdf

I tried finding car-battery technical info on Johnson Controls' site, but gave up.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

rote:

ote:

at.

voltage

at voltage

y and

. The lead acid cell tempco per cell is -2mV/oC, his macro-threshold gets d ivided by 12, will be hard to be off a few hundred mV cell from the 2.4V fu ll charge and it won't amount to a hill of beans. You think the cheap contr oller is temperature compensated? Really? Show me the thermocouple probe th at comes with them.

absent

e.

minal

it

on is

ery.

over no

r,

_battery

bility rating of zero.

be

y construction and operation out there for solar. The best practice is to c omply with the specifications of the manufacturer whose battery you're usin g. Looks like the new most common tempco is -5mV/cell, and like I said, the real solar installations have controllers with RTS= Remote Temperature S ensors attached to a representative battery in the pack. Then depending on battery type, the per cell full charge nominal voltage may be as high as 2.

6V, but most are 2.4V.

ies

tic

chManual-Lo.pdf

HomeDepot sells this for $16.47, should be on the shelf in most stores- dam med thing does hardly anything:

efd5beb.pdf

They also carry a 250AH 12V SLA for $800...WTF???

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Maximum power point tracker.

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

What's an MPPT?

Hul

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
Hul Tytus

Doesn't change the charge control algorithm, but you might want to consider a shunt regulator. If you have something to do with the excess power, like bank it in a water tank for heat recovery at night. If you ever want to add wind power, wind generators don't like to be unloaded in high wind. Local radio repeaters had several wind generators disintegrate before they switched to shunt regulation.

Reply to
mike

The desert rat has 10 of those 180 watt panels (1.8kW total) which is more than my electric bill living in the city. He has four 12 volt batteries at

190AH each or 380AH at 24 volts. The swamp cooler draws 1.3 amps at 120 or 156 watts which sounds low to me but not sure how he measured that. But he has plans to distill water from his well which requires lots of heat. Not sure of the energy requirement for that, but the rat is a physicist, so he can probably do the math. He tried one of those cheap solar panel regulators from wherever and it failed, so he doesn't trust them. .
Reply to
billbowden

I assume he'll use solar power to distill, it would make no sense to use electricity for that.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Did you see the PowerSonic literature I linked? It has a schematic for a decent lead-acid charge controller built from a (boosted) LM317, page 17.

(It looks a little over-complicated compared to its description, might want to scrutinize it.)

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

I took a look at it but it's not real clear. I guess the diode D2 (1N4148) does the temp compensation. And resistor R3 would be a fairly low value of maybe 140 milliohms for a current of 5 amps. And what about the temp compensation for the drop across D1 which is in series with the battery? Does D2 take care of that also? And D3 and R6 are confusing. It looks like if you have enough current to turn on Q2, the voltage on R6 will rise which raises the output voltage. So, yes, it is complicated. If it were me in the desert, I would make the system reliable first, simple second, and efficient last.

Reply to
billbowden

applications like that seem ideally suited to a heat pump, but yeah direct solar may make more sense.

Jasen Betts

Concentrated solar is far cheaper than a heat pump running on PV power.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Correct. That's how a heavy current demand selects "topping" voltage. When the battery's full & current falls, the charger falls back to "float" voltage.

Here's how to understand it-- The charger shifts between topping voltage and float voltage based on the battery's current draw.

When current is high (battery empty), Q1 conducts, which raises the output voltage by switching R6 in parallel with R1.

When output current drops below i=isw (battery full), Q1 cuts off, R6 is disconnected, and Vfloat is selected.

R4 turns the LM317's adj terminal into a current source, passing 1mA through temp. compensation diode D2, and resistor R5. That creates ~1V of drop, with D2's mV/C. The LM317's reference voltage is now effectively a temperature-compensated 2.5V, and Vfloat ~= 2.5V multiplied by divider (RS+R1)/(R1).

Overall current limit is set by R3-Q2, as you described.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Maybe for now- and care to explain how you use "concentrated" solar to cool?

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

That's for line operation, not solar, and you're not going to get an Energy Star rating for it either.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred