So what is the difference between a software engineer and computer scientist?

I got a Computer Science degree, and we were taught to program (stuff like writing floating point libraries using only integer instructions on an IBM 360, and coding a 6502 through a hexadecimal keypad).

Of course, that was 78-82

Then I got a Masters of Computer Science (Minor in EE) in 86.

I did embedded systems, compilers, and wrote some Assemblers for some new microprocessors. Wrote graphics routines for Printers. Children's software. Some work on a few Windows Applications. Rules Engines to automate Eligibility for Government Assistance programs. Web Applications. An Open Source project.

Maybe they just didn't have the term "Software Engineering" when I got stamped on the forehead with the "CS" label.

All that said, Software is not often "Engineered" and its development is rarely "Science". Maybe both terms are just wishful thinking!

Paul

Reply to
snow.paul

yeah, I saw that. hilarious.

why is it always the most vocal "morals" campaigners who turn out to be the predators? here in NZ most recently we had Graham Capill, head of the Christian Heritage Party, who spent the last few decades railing against anythig he didnt like, and is now behind bars as a convicted kiddy fucker (it had the added effect of destroying the CHP utterly).

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given

If there is a God, I'm sure he's more pissed at the behaiver of his believers then by that of the non-believers.

Reply to
kkkisok

Here's theory: there's a farily well known cognitive bias called the "false consensus effect".

Bascially, people tend to assume that others are more-or-less like themselves.

Good, decent people tend to people assume that others are good and decent and therefore don't really need to be preached at.

Dangerous, perverted, and evil people assume that others are the same and therefore need to be preached at, converted, policed, controlled, whatever.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  We are now enjoying
                                  at               total mutual interaction in

Not to mention the nun with the world's best p*rn collection!

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

the late Patricia Bartlett. Who went to serious trouble and expense to track down, purchase and view pronography in all its guises, so she could then campaign against it :)

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given

Now that makes a great deal of sense.

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given

That was my excuse. I remember when you had to sign a declaration that you were buying your p*rn for research purposes only!

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

I loved the Johnny Carson bit, back in the days of the censorship controversy, where there was some nudie flick that had a newspaper ad with a picture of some girl's bare back.

Some censor had painted a bra strap across this girl's back. Carson said something like, "The sick one is the guy sitting there painting the strap!"

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

Engineers think orghogonally and design stuff before they try to build it.

Programmers are more like writers; they have a vision, and craft a story that tells of their vision, and of course, every story needs to be edited, generally ad nauseam. ;-)

Except tech writers, whose skills kind of overlap - the writing has to accurately reflect reality. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

--
You will when you die.
Reply to

--
You mean your mother?
Reply to

--
So, you admit to being a liar.
Reply to

Are you claiming never to have lied?

Ian

Reply to
Ian Bell

That was his dad, in drag. It seems to run in his perverted family.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Another data point:

We had some visitors this weekend, a couple from back east. She's a computer scientist, he's an engineer who also teaches programming, both academics. It was made pretty clear to me that computer science is not immediately related to programming, and that computer science education does not seek to graduate people who can program.

John

My sister has that background, plus a math degree. In Germany they call that something like Information Science but AFAICT it's the same thing as CS. Programming is not at all the main point in this curriculum. It is mostly heavy duty math, stuff I would certainly not enjoy at all. And after we both had our degrees, she in CS and me in EE, she was clearly the one with the better math skills right off the bat. Meantime, her math skills got even better. Me? Well, math is like eating pea soup. And I don't like pea soup.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Split pea? With ham? Wonderful.

The two best programmers I know (excluding my humble self) were educated in chemistry and physics.

John

... snip ...

For long term viability nothing beats education in the fundamentals. My own background is mathematics and physics, followed by heavy hardware experience. That basis lets me acquire whatever I need. Meanwhile, to take an extreme, the poor klutzes who have been taught which button to click in Excel are floundering on anything else.

CBFalconer

Came across 2 EE and CS doctors last week designing new kit and lamenting sadly that they'd given up on a software PID algorithm (in C of course) they'd written to replace the standard analogue PID loop control opamp, caps and R's in a piece of kit similar to what I was also working on. Seems they hadn't taken into account some mechanical aspects or noticed that two variable delay elements were at work, hence bemusement that I seemed happy to 'blindly' stick a 0.47uF in place of a 100nF to control overshoot on my own stuff. Mild prodding on my part turned up a "Yes but how could I teach that?". Seems CS teaching (like the C language) is willfully moving up a path of abstraction in a bid to avoid contact with real world messiness. ... The Philosophy depts did it, we can surely do the same!. UK (oxbridge led) academic authorities are loathe to be sullied by the word "vocational" but something needs to be done if we are to survive as a trading nation and at the end-of-the-day some poor sodding programmer will still have to make that digital PID loop actually work :)

john jardine