SMD Leadframe, instead of plug

Hi

I have searched for a leadframe that fits into the SMD Pick & Place machine and that would angle two PCBs.

The idea is to not use a plug/socket connectors to angle-connect to two PCBs, but to use a leadframe (thin pieces of copper bars) to connect the PCBs and to do this in the reflow oven

The idea is sketched here:

The two PCBs are in the same panel and the leadframe is mounted and soldered in the reflow oven. Then just before assembly in the cabinet, the PCBs is cut from the panel and the leadframe along with the PCBs are bend to the needed angle. This would remove costly connectors and would allow any orientation of the PCBs

But, I cannot find a manufactor of these parts. Any of you guys tried this and know of a supplier?

Thanks

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

Do you need to separate the boards? If not, why not just solder some wires (holes instead of pads) between them.

I did some boards with 20 mils copper alloys. Once in place, they are slightly flexible, but never breaks. They would rip pads out, but not holes.

Reply to
linnix

I've seen boards mounted at right angles, but the one was soldered to the other. The vertical one had essentially an "edge connector", and the base had a pattern; then they'd solder it in place:

| |

Reply to
Rich Grise

An application for a flexi rigid?

Reply to
Grumps

I don't know a supplier but similar leadframes are sometimes used in making planar transformers when 4oz copper isn't enough. If you can't find them on the open market you could contact a company like this one:

In the end that will probably boil down to amortizing the stamping tools over the (large) production run. When we needed leadframes for med devices they were always custom made to order.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

How about this:

The interconnects are also available in 0.5mm pitch, although this is a new product and is not yet on the web site.

John Walliker

jrwalliker

The idea is to avoid hand soldering and leaded assembly to cut costs

Regards

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

Great - that looks like 95% of what I was searching for

Thanks :-)

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

one:

Thanks for the link

I will try to quote this custom solution against the weblink from Mr. Walliker

Regards

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

The tape width for SMT placement would make that tough if you want a significant overlap for rigidness. Larger stuff such as common mode chokes are often placed by hand even in mass production. Question: How will those boards be mounted? Even if you found partial leadframes wouldn't vibration and other stress eat away at the solder joints?

I am facing a similar situation right now, three sections that can be stiff and two bends. We are going full flex, Kapton based. Rigid-flex combo would get too expensive.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Donald

There are a number of flex flat cables that may be viable for this. Snoop in the online DigiKey catalog.

Reply to
Robert Baer

To me, it looks like 100%. What are the 5% you're missing?

robert

Reply to
Robert Latest

The 5% is because I would like to have on that is a single device, so there is no plastic on the SMD bridge. Then we may solder a wire onto the bridge or even better weld a crimp connection onto this (so we avoid any leaded soldering).

Regards

Klaus

Reply to
klaus.kragelund