SMD Electrolytics

I was looking for a 2.2uF 100V electrolytic cap and ....there's no SMD version available from Digikey?? Also, seems like many electrolytics are through hole.

I guess the pads probably rip off with G shock.

I've been converting throughhole components to 'quasi-SMD'. I use glue gun glue, silicone, big pads and kinky lead bending. What a pita...

How about an adhesive under the capacitor that melts during plate soldering? That way the capacitor is fastened to the pcb.

Wouldn't it be nice if every component were SMD?

D from BC British Columbia Canada.

Reply to
D from BC

Vishay P/N 2222-139-69228. 2.2uF/100V SMT. Mouser carries them but 9wks leadtime and expensive. Not for new designs but I bet Vishay has a replacement.

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

EEV-EB2W2R2Q

Why don't you try slipping the leads through small holes in the PCB and soldering the opposite side?

Nah.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Ah, the dry repartee in here is great lately.

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

Really! :)

D from BC British Columbia Canada.

Reply to
D from BC

aluminum 2.2uf 100vdc smt. Bob

Reply to
sycochkn

Is that quasi-quasi-SMD or quasi-TH? Some bean counters might charge you double for soldering both sides. Just solder the component side.

Reply to
linnix

I've noticed this also. Since it was a supply cap, I picked the next size. You could always parallel them up.

Martin Riddle

Hey ...that 2.2uF EEV-EB2W2RQ is a 450V SMT electrolytic with a big ass 10mm diameter. A 2.2uF 100V throughhole has a 5mm diameter..

0.21 cents for the pita throughhole or $1.21 for a big ass SMT.. Huhhh...decisions decisions... :P

I wonder if there's little bases I can put on throughhole capacitors to turn them to SMD? Call it a SMD conversion kit..

1st solder the throughhole part to the base, then surface mount solder. ___________ | cap | Idea: | | | |
Reply to
D from BC

Yes, you can just feed the pins through the base and bend them sideway. The base should be made of plastic with high melting temperature. It should cost only pennies each, except for the first piece.

Yes, if you don't have to pay for the first piece.

Reply to
linnix

Why don't you change your circuit to use other part instead? Be flexible like me, sometimes I can change caps, resistors, or combine the two. Do you know the RC trick? it will save you lots of hassles. I bet Jim Crook and his gang don't know it.

Reply to
MooseFET

Ceramics are available in this value - a bit pricy in low volumes but you may be able to find them somewhere else with better low-volume pricing

Reply to
Mike Harrison

It'll be great if you have a lot of ripple current, which those ratings make me suspect. What's it for anyway? Film caps could last forever, but will be the largest way to go.

Okay, 3.3uF or 4.7uF looks to be more available (14 different part numbers in stock). Eg. EEE-HA2A3R3P, which is 105°C-rated.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

We use some SMD electrolytics in military applications. We have not seen any mechanical problems in shake-and-bake testing or battlefield use.

We glue the cases to the PCB after the PCB is soldered and washed, using two-part Loctite E-20NS epoxy.

================================

Greg Neff VP Engineering

*Microsym* Computers Inc. snipped-for-privacy@guesswhichwordgoeshere.com
Reply to
Greg Neff

8mm diameter for the EEE-HA2A3R3P SMT. Uh...maybe I'll get it. A 5mm diameter throughhole SMD'ize still has a smaller footprint. I'll look around. Thanks..

There's low cap self heating in the app and the ambient temp is ~40C. The cap is doing a stabilization role. On the freaky side, I have a case where lots of ESR is actually useful. Wide tolerance allowed too.

About that SMT electrolytic with the 450V rating.. I'll guess that cap is fat with dielectric and thin with foil. So maybe the ripple handling is poor compared to a 100V version of the same diameter. But just guessing without looking at the dissipation factors on the datasheets.

D from BC British Columbia Canada.

Reply to
D from BC

be able to find them

Yikes! $6.15 to order 1 from Digikey.ca CKG57NX7R2A225M I'll keep it mind if the board gets mass produced.

D from BC British Columbia Canada.

Reply to
D from BC

Neato :)

D from BC British Columbia Canada.

Reply to
D from BC

be able to find them

There is quite a few cheaper ceramics at Newark. For some reason, some of the ceramic capacitors at Digikey ridiculous prices.

--

    Boris Mohar
Reply to

A small bit of FR4 with holes and two (or more as necessary) pads ought to do it nicely.

Reply to
JosephKK

Yes, but making the mold to stamp out the tiny FR4 is not going to be any cheaper than plastic.

Reply to
linnix