smart tweezers

This looks cool

but they are over $400.

This one

is only $65. It doesn't do inductors, but I usually scatter unknown resistors and caps around my bench; inductors are less common. The Extech stuff is usually pretty good.

Any experiences?

--

John Larkin, President
Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Another one:

John Larkin, President
Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

How much components does $65 buy? If I try different values I usually use new SMD components if they are 0603 or smaller.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

I've got Rev 1.0 of the Smart Tweezers. What an excellent idea. What an awful execution. :)

Mine sprays random readings on the display that vary over a very wide margin when measuring an SMT 'anything'.

There's a reason their website does not have a 'Customer Support' button.

I would say "don't bother".

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Seems like, some fraction of the time, I accidentally scatter or tidly-wink parts as I'm trying to solder them down or whatever. Then I see it nearby, and can't be sure if it's the right one. Damned caps aren't marked, and now they are using goofy alpha codes on resistors.

--

John Larkin, President
Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Thanks. Maybe I'll get the $65 Extech, on the theory that I'd only be out $65 if it isn't useful.

I can see how an automatic R/L/C/diode meter could get confused.

--

John Larkin, President
Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

In your case by Sutro Tower :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

ed text -

Mostly production smd is done by a board house. When I'm doing the smd proto, I get one component out at a time... "Now solder all the 10k resistors"... If you sneeze just get some new bits out of the strip.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

The AADE L/C meter is handy for measuring smd caps and inductors. However, the smallest I've measured is 805s and it might not be too convenient for anything smaller.

Reply to
garyr

I have one of those, and it's great, but doesn't do resistors. But the tweezers might be good to keep handy while assembling a prototype. Maybe.

--

John Larkin, President       Highland Technology Inc

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

This'll work for sorting resistors anyway:

At $30 it probably works just fine.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I have those, and I love them. Dave Jones did a product review on them some time back as well.

The specs are fairly loose, but IME they're very accurate. They also have a quality feel to them, which I like--really thick gold plating on the tips, plus they give you a spare set. The oscilloscope feature is just a gimmick, but for most things they're the greatest.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Yes, I just bin all the loose bits... That's an aweful lot of bits to bin before I get to $65 worth...

My advice? Keep your desk tidy :)

Reply to
TTman

We have a set at work. I think it's one of these ones rather than the other links you posted; it does L too.

They're extremely useful for identifying components in a circuit, like:

"This filter is behaving oddly. Have the subassemblers used the right cap values?"

"I modified this board yesterday and forgot to make a note of what that component value was."

Sometimes you need to unsolder the component to be sure others in the circuit aren't interacting.

So I think they're fantastic. Two software bugs, hopefully fixed now (ours are a couple of years old): they don't always switch off if you leave them on certain settings, I think "capacitance at max frequency". And the time-til-it-switches-off defaults to 60 minutes when yu switch them on (there's no off button), you have to manually turn it down to 10 mins. So always kep a spare set of batteries around.

Reply to
Nemo

Which one, the $400 or the $65?

--

John Devereux
Reply to

The $400 Smart Tweezers. Good Medicine.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

There are also 'tweezer' probes that can be plugged into the leads of equipment you already own. Less than $10 last time I checked.

There were even 4-wire versions floating around, but kind of impractical for reactive components.

RL

Reply to
legg

That's what I am using. Unfortunately copper tongues but they work. You do have to subtract the cable capacitance though.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

The best tweezers are zircon encrusted :-)

Reply to
Pomegranate Bastard