Skybuck's Universal Code 5 (The Native Version)

So you are retracting your "NO OTHER WAY', I assume. Thankyou for correcting the record for others who may be reading along. You also have it wrong on the "nearly full heavily fragmented". If you write a large file to a very slightly fragmented drive, the new file can also be fragmented.

This is not always true for a disk that has been written to in the past. If the OS always allocates the new file after the last used sector in an effort to try to prevent fragmented files, eventually it will be allocating near the end of the disk. At that point it ends up fragmenting.

Reply to
MooseFET

You're an idiot. Stop gumming up our newsgroups with you retarded baby bullshit. That really is all that you post.

Reply to
RoyLFuchs

You're an idiot.

Reply to
RoyLFuchs

Stupid f*ck, i have had to deal with data sets in excess of 200 GB. While ram is cheap i cannot find any mobo that supports that much ram.

Reply to
JosephKK

No everything you write is BS. You appear to be an arrogant, willfully ignorant, garbage posting fool. Should you think that you are otherwise, i suggest that you go down to your friendly local state college and take several courses. You just might learn something.

Reply to
JosephKK

Actually the FAT file system is very well documented. The NTFS file system is moderately well documented. Why are you so ignorant?

Nope, tough luck, it does not. Neither does 32 bit XP nor any version of vista.

That does not really help much. M$ OS's have massive amounts of temp files which cause fragmentation.

Reply to
JosephKK

Wrong. FAT and NTFS write fragmented files on the very first write. Too bad you cannot find the truth. Dimbulb / AlwaysWrong

Reply to
JosephKK

Horseshit, i have repeated seen fragmented files on brand new installs of XP, and 98. I have been told that there are the same issues with MS NT 2000 and server 2003. Why do you insist on ignorant untruths?

Reply to
JosephKK

Anyway.

A good idea would be to do both:

  1. Check if there is enough space. If so allocate the complete file.

  1. If not enough space, Ask user if he wants to continue the download anyway, and don't allocate the whole file.

  2. If drive runs out of space, warn user and wait for free space, then continue.

Nice solution me thinks ;)

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

The days of the bios and complicated hd reading/writing are long gone !

You learned more from me in this thread then you will ever learn in any college out there ! ;) :)

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

Behehehe is that all.

LOL.

Get yourself:

Windows XP X64 Pro Edition.

Use a 64 bit compiler or simply 64 bit integers.

Let the virtual memory do it's working = paging.

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

The virtual memory system in Windows thrashes when you try to do a large FFT on 10 byte floats. Recoding the FFT to do the shuffle in the middle helps.

Reply to
MooseFET

Since when is documentation considered an algorithm ? ;)

Show me the algorithm or show me the code or shut up :)

Bye, Skybuck

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

No, they do not. They CAN do so, but it is NOT the norm.

Reply to
StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

On "brand new installs"? You're an idiot.

Reply to
StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

You're an idiot. BIOS level writes are made all the time.

Total bullshit. We learned that you are a stupid f*ck, and that all you do is gum up the groups with retarded horseshit.

If only that were really true. Now FUCK OFF AND DIE!

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

You're an idiot.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Whatever dipshit.

All I know is I don't have to write complex code.

The bios chip or the harddisk chip or whatever does that :)

I only specify the sector number.

I don't have to specify the head, cylinder or whatever.

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

Would you elaborate on that? I've done the trivial FFTs with the arrays of up to 64M points (complex double) without any problems except it was very slow.

Vladimir Vassilevsky DSP and Mixed Signal Consultant

Vladimir Vassilevsky

No you are.

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to