Simple data bus over DC Power Wires

Hi Guys,

I'm in the process of implementing some simple control nodes (just switches) and looking for the simplest (cheapest) network protocol to use. To date, LIN bus seems to be the best candidate. I need very low speed, high reliability and low off-board distance (a few up to

10s of feet).

Ideally, something that could be two wire with power and data combined would be ideal, so that the power could be distributed to power the slave nodes. LIN is good, but it requires a 4 wire (or 3 I suppose) interface.

I looked at ASI (Acuator Sensor Interface), but not sure how practical it is.

Anything else on the radar screen?

Paul

Reply to
Paul W.

You could always go analog. Each switch has a series LC network, and the control circuit just imposes a small AC frequency over the network, and looks at the impedance. The plusses of this are of course you only need one real circuit, the others can practically be built onto a chocolate block.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Hello, You could also look into a company called Yamar (

) who makes chips that communicate over the DC power lines using the LIN bus. Soon there will be modules that can implement 250K CAN bus. They are not very expensive. You can follow the electric car charging standard. Once this is final then I imagine more suppliers will be making parts. If you want data and power then look into a company called PowerByProxy out of NZ. This is more expensive.

Reply to
GetErDun

--
Geez, you're only about 8 years too late!
Reply to