Seriously, Tektronix?

Especially one that goes to 50 GHz or so. Though you won't like the cost of the 50 GHz sampling head.

But the run of the mill SD24 does 17 ps and that's not too shabby. You can see details on an SMA connector transition easily.

Plus, no one will shove it in their briefcase and walk off with it.

Reply to
Tom Miller

I'm talking about the attached scopes, not bench scopes.

If you say so. The front panel is one part of a scope that is pretty universal and so can be standardized. Some UI features would potentially be absent from any given set of hardware or more likely the software feature set. Those can be omitted or greyed out of menus.

The exact hardware will differ, but it should be pretty easy to write a layer equivalent to a BIOS that adapts the various operations of the scope to the specific hardware involved.

I'm not proposing that this be done, I have read that the software exists. I'm just asking if anyone knows about it.

--

Rick
Reply to

Yeah, I know, and I am really tempted. But I am trying not to grow my tool collection much anymore, at least not in size. There's really no reason why something similar to an SD24 can't run on a laptop or PC. It could nicely slide into my very wide (and largely unoccupied) USB tool slot on my lab bench.

The other reason is that due to being a consultant I always have several clients simultaneously. That means lots of stuff clogs up the space, like right now a cardiology patient monitor. Schlepping that in and out all the time would eventually result in back pain.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I've been looking at Hantek. I just can't find anyone who has used one. Saying "it works" is not exactly a great endorsement. Have you tried it yourself? That might mean a bit more when saying, "it works". lol

The one I've been eying is the 3062AL, 60 MHz bandwidth with a logic analyzer. Not quite the same as a simple scope and I can't tell how well the software works.

--

Rick
Reply to

Tek has been using Windows for a long time. A high end Tek scope I used once ran Windows NT... or maybe it was 2000 at least.

I think these days Linux would be the way to go, fully open source so you can fix *any* problem you find... but then you would have to provide the sources and I'm not too sure of the exact impact on the status of your proprietary code. The license can be a can of worms if you don't really want to share your code.

--

Rick
Reply to

It didn't say. Each time I was away from the computer, and came back to find that it had updated and restarted with a message that Windows had been updated. It informed me that FF had been updated, when I got up this morning. Now, it's slower than crap.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I have not tried it myself.

A client of mine bought it a week ago because they had no scope at all. The person that used it there is still studying for his masters and doesn't have too much industry experience but he was almost immediately able to measure the stuff I asked him to. Clocks, pulses, trigger on single events, and so on. It's a pretty simple and low sample rate scope but from the plots they sent it does the job. For around $80 that's not bad. On our board most stuff is under 10MHz. Some is in the GHz range but that will be measured here at my lab.

The arb gen is a nice feature in that one. I hope it has an extra coax output for that in the back.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Yeah, and it's hard to get a really good SMA to PCB transition.

I have an 11802 permanently (or until the next earthquake) on my workbench. I use the SD24 TDR a lot. I do have an SD32 50 GHz sampling head, which doesn't do TDR. At some point, the mainframe jitter, fairly bad on the early 11801-series scopes, makes a fast sampling head useless.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Yes. We don't do manufacturing (here). Processes are processes. ISO9K, and all that rot.

I could probably do that but $1K is on the high side.

We've done that, when we bought the equipment that the contractor or one of their sister companies) built.

Reply to
krw

I have got them for less than $200 including most for shipping. That is just the cost of a good lunch with a client. Look for the ones that do not pass the self test. The main cause is two failed NVRAM batteries and it cost about $30 from Mouser to replace them. The new RAMs from Mouser will last 20

  • years.

It is one hell of a scope.

Also, look for the SD-14 sampler with two active probes, the SD-26 dual channel sampler and the great SD-24 with the built in TDR pulse also two channels.

Reply to
Tom Miller

Nah.

Quote "Many companies don't calibrate rarely used engineering/service equipment because of the cost. As long as the equipment is not used for validation and the equipment is controlled, it is OK".

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

We bought the 100MHz scope about two years ago and the firmware was crap. The timebase and verticals could only be changed while auto triggering or stopped and the measurements showed wrong results. Went back to Rigols.

I've upgraded the FW to the latest one and used it a few times. Feels much more responsive, but I haven't yet used it for real work. If they have fixed the glitches, the scope is good value for money.

The larger, higher resolution display is a definite plus compared to the basic Rigol.

--
Mikko OH2HVJ
Reply to

The Owon display is nice. I got one for my son, who likes it. I haven't used it for real work, though.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

*THEY* don't. So?
Reply to
krw

Maybe there is enough market. Look at the prices. Maybe do something about it. Just be sure that the company that produces the nice stuff is at least 2 arms length from your bread and butter.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

and

by

ensure

one,

isn't

At those prices, they are just daring you to undercut them. Moreover, given the your product line you can do it. Go get 'em.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

front

I understand you well. I have written that kind of software myself about

30 years ago. Writing for 'scopes is a major change in breadth, but not a change in reach. Doable. In a sense some of the NI scope stuff does this.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

because

That is a specialty turf segment, and may be much easier to penetrate with a USB dongle at a similar price.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

I'm a little confused which units you are referring to. Are you saying you upgraded the firmware on the Hantek USB scope or a standard benchtop model? They make both. What has a higher resolution display exactly? One of my concerns for the attached scope is that the display will somehow be limited to a fixed resolution and you won't be able to expand the window to make the image larger. My screen is 1920x1080 (full HD) and the 800x600 resolution they state in the spec will be less than a quarter of the screen size, a bit too small for my taste.

I will say "wrong results" is pretty much a show stopper. That is the single most basic requirement for the scope that it show you valid data at all times.

--

Rick
Reply to

I'm referring to a benchtop model, DSO5102B. I should have checked the model number before posting!

That's why we went back to Rigols and the Hanteks ended up in storage. I updated one and now it seems better, but I have not done extensive testing.

--
Mikko
Reply to