serial i/o prog

I'm looking for a simple Windows prog that can feed a binary file out of COM1. Hyperterminal seems unable to do this despite having hordes of protocols like Z-Modem etc.

I've tried sending it as text, but I suspect that it strips out non-printing characters... or something.

Any suggestions?

--
Dirk

http://www.onetribe.me.uk - The UK\'s only occult talk show
Presented by Dirk Bruere and Marc Power on ResonanceFM 104.4
http://www.resonancefm.com
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Look for TeraTerm.

Reply to
Arlet

Try converting the binary file to Base64, then send that as text...?

Reply to
mrdarrett

Hyperterminal is full of problems. I use Docklight. Can get a free trial @

scada

Teraterm Pro is free, and does everything I've needed for a decade. You can even get a SSH extension for it. (Free)

Cheers

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS

I would recommend that you download Borland Turbo Delphi and then ask your question in an appropriate newsgroup......

However, before doing so you should remove all references that might indicate that you are a Reginald.

DNA

Reply to
Genome

Sorry, I don't use Windows anymore, but wasn't there a time when you could just type:

Copy filename COM1 /b

Is there still a DOS-like thing in Windows that let's you type a command?

Thanks, Joe Legris

Reply to
J.A. Legris

I've downloaded it but not run it yet. Is it XP compatible, and can it do 115,000 baud?

--
Dirk

http://www.onetribe.me.uk - The UK\'s only occult talk show
Presented by Dirk Bruere and Marc Power on ResonanceFM 104.4
http://www.resonancefm.com
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Maybe a batch file like below.

@echo off type myfile >com1

Reply to
Si Ballenger

I like Com 7.6

Been using it (or its ancestors) for years to converse with embedded gadgets. Handles binary in and out quite nicely.

--
Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Be sure your port is set to no parity, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit. Also make sure the other end matches.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Yes, but they call it a "command prompt". It's not really a DOS window, it just acts like one. :-)

Mine was at start/programs/accessories/command prompt or maybe start/programs/accessories/system tools/command prompt .

Have Fun! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

On a sunny day (Mon, 20 Nov 2006 21:32:50 +0000) it happened Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote in :

Install Linux, then type: cat my_binary_file > /dev/ttyS0 You may want to set baudrate and com parameters too, ask me again perhaps when you installed it. LOL

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Thanks to all who replied. I downloaded teraterm and will now use that instead of hyperterminal. However, problem solved by the old DOS copy command as recommended.

--
Dirk

http://www.onetribe.me.uk - The UK\'s only occult talk show
Presented by Dirk Bruere and Marc Power on ResonanceFM 104.4
http://www.resonancefm.com
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Yes. Encode it using yEnc and decode it on the other end the same way. Most times it will be OK.

AFAIK, you can't use [XYZ}Modem unilaterally - you need the same protocol at both ends to do the proper handshaking.

What are you sending to?

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Yup

-- Brendan Gillatt brendan {at} brendan \\removethis// gillatt {dot} co {dot} uk

PGP Key: pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x6E265E61

Reply to
Brendan Gillatt