SEPIC coupling capacitor?

I havent done much with sepic's, but going by AN1484

Bottom of P3

"The SEPIC capacitor must be rated for a large RMS current relative to the output power."

I don't think I've ever seen capacitor datasheets with RMS current stated

Any suggestions?

martin

Reply to
Martin Griffith

"Martin Griffith"

** Then WTF do you think " rms ripple current " refers to - eh ??

In some cases YOU will have to compute the rms rating from the published worsts case ESR figures over the frequency spectrum involved.

Losta fun.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

RMS current is a regular rating of Al electrolytics and some film parts dedicated for power applications. Keep looking. Chances are, if it's not rated, you may be misapplying the part.

For film caps, dv/dt specs give peak current, indirectly. RMS has to be figured out based on dissipation factor, part size and body temperature limits. The old Philips apps are good with this, for their polyester parts.

Similar procedures for ceramic are sometimes made quicker by publication of associated ESR data.

RL

Reply to
legg

I thought I was missing out something from the app note, which should have stated RMS ripple current.

martin

Reply to
Martin Griffith