Scripps: New Climate Risk Classification Created to Account for Potential ?Existential? Threats

That does presuppose that there are customers out there for whatever kick-ass thing you feel like designing. John Larkin's optimism is predicated on a population of customers who share his idea about what's "kick-ass".

And break a leg. There are cheaper ways of breaking bones and tearing up your joints.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

be telling you to prepare for the end.

the creation of the new risk categories ?catastrophic? and ?unknown? to characterize the range of threats posed by ra pid global warming. Researchers propose that unknown risks imply existentia l threats to the survival of humanity."

1

l Overturning Circulation that keep parts of Europe warm will get disrupted and you could probably ski there every day of the year. But then lots of o ther ecological things get messed up that humans depend on.

mism, I'd go into an electronics store, grab a few of the most expensive TV s they had, and just walk out. Maybe they wouldn't notice. I refuse to beli eve the evidence that there's greater than a 90% chance I'll be detained an d get a free ride in a police cruiser....you know, to haul the TVs back to my place.

I don't know, to resell? You missed the point.

gnorance.

Strawman. Still missed the point.

Reply to
lonmkusch

The point is that you have elaborate fantasies about stealing things.

Stealing is repulsive. So is TV.

lunatic fringe electronics

e:

ll be telling you to prepare for the end.

to the creation of the new risk categories ?catastrophic? and ?unknown? to characterize the range of threats posed by rapid global warming. Researchers propose that unknown risks imply existen tial threats to the survival of humanity."

=1

onal Overturning Circulation that keep parts of Europe warm will get disrup ted and you could probably ski there every day of the year. But then lots o f other ecological things get messed up that humans depend on.

ptimism, I'd go into an electronics store, grab a few of the most expensive TVs they had, and just walk out. Maybe they wouldn't notice. I refuse to b elieve the evidence that there's greater than a 90% chance I'll be detained and get a free ride in a police cruiser....you know, to haul the TVs back to my place.

s ignorance.

I've been watching the Vietnam series by Burns and Novick on PBS. It's good, but F'ing depressing... they are up to 1968 and I know there are still many more years of war to come.

George H. (I turned 10 in 1968.)

Reply to
George Herold

[...]

LOL ok. Seems pretty hard for you to prove that. But you've never been much into objectivity.

Duh. Tell me something I don't know.

Reply to
lonmkusch

No, haven't you been reading John's posts? It's not real because of chaos. Since weather is chaotic, it is impossible for trends to exist and even more impossible to predict them.

CHAOS!!! It's all about the CHAOS!

Maybe John is using hysteresis on the weather signal input and all the noise just evaporates.

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Reply to
rickman

The current you describe, of which the Gulf Stream is a part, removes heat from the Caribbean. If it stops or even slows appreciably, the Caribbean will become warmer and even greater storms will be spawned in that area. Am I wrong?

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Reply to
rickman

Why use a tiny screen when surfing the web?

Been there, done that.

I prefer the water.

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Reply to
rickman

So is most of what John Larkin believes.

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Reply to
rickman

be telling you to prepare for the end.

the creation of the new risk categories ?catastrophic? and ?unknown? to characterize the range of threats posed by ra pid global warming. Researchers propose that unknown risks imply existentia l threats to the survival of humanity."

1

al Overturning Circulation that keep parts of Europe warm will get disrupte d and you could probably ski there every day of the year. But then lots of other ecological things get messed up that humans depend on.

Am

Seems about right. It has been said Harvey dumped the amount of rain it did because the ocean temperature is higher than usual.

Reply to
lonmkusch

But skiing is fun (as long as there aren't too many self-satisfied Swiss around), and fun is what makes life worth living.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Those Swiss people never crash. That's annoying. Crashing now and then means you're having fun.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

By that time, I'd spent a week in the US Navy (sort of as a guest) and was hassling with my draft board. Political influence prevailed, as it generally does.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I design electronics. It works; people buy it. That requires serious objectivity.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

If you don't fall down 10 times a day, you aren't trying hard enough.

But then, in Breckenridge, I and my daughter watched a fluent skier, and a few seconds later watched him slide into a ski cannon with a "crump" I'll never forget. We were on a ski lift, and called out the blood bath when we reached the top.

The obit in the local paper said he was a local man.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Too bad your objectivity is so narrowly focused. The *only* thing you seem to do well is electronics. All you need to do is to open up yourself to facts as they exist and not try to fit them into your opinions.

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Reply to
rickman

It happens, but it's not common. About 40 skiiers a year die in the USA, about 1 PPM per person-day. Lots of sports are 30x as dangerous.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

:

rote:

ey'll be telling you to prepare for the end.

led to the creation of the new risk categories ?catastrophic? ? and ?unknown? to characterize the range of threats pose d by rapid global warming. Researchers propose that unknown risks imply exi stential threats to the survival of humanity."

raw=1

at

idional Overturning Circulation that keep parts of Europe warm will get dis rupted and you could probably ski there every day of the year. But then lot s of other ecological things get messed up that humans depend on.

s optimism, I'd go into an electronics store, grab a few of the most expens ive TVs they had, and just walk out. Maybe they wouldn't notice. I refuse t o believe the evidence that there's greater than a 90% chance I'll be detai ned and get a free ride in a police cruiser....you know, to haul the TVs ba ck to my place.

at's ignorance.

uch into objectivity.

Only John Larkin could be far enough up himself to think that.

He has to know what his potential customers are likely to buy, and develop that.

If you regard his customers as objects - they aren't - you could claim that knowing what they might be likely to want would be making an objective jud gement.

Sadly, customers are fashion-conscious, and what you make has to change wit h the fashion.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydne
Reply to

:
:

rote:

[...]

much into objectivity.

em

His electronics is competent, and clearly adequate to the demands of his bu siness, but what he does well is present himself as genius designer - and h e may actually believe his sales spiel. He's gullible enough to believe lot s of other nonsense.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Not just sports, of course.

Interestingly the 1ppm/person/day can easily be compared with the delightfully named "micromort". In the US merely being alive "consumes" 24micromorts/day.

The excellent thing about micromorts is that it numerically rams home that it is rational to take higher risks when you are older. The older you are the more micromorts you consume per day, so other activities are relatively less risky.

Tom Gardner