Schematic/Layout programs

I think that one of the main problems with the recurring SED discussions of schematic capture & layout programs is the fact that it's often unclear when people make comments what the level of sophistication they're expecting from a tool *is*. It's probably almost a safe assumption that someone who comes on here asking for opinions without specifically starting any particular requirements doesn't require stuff like strongly rules-driven designs, integration with databases, automated differential signal support, high-end scriptability, etc... maybe not even hierarchical design, 4 layer or more designs, etc...

A lot of the choices regarding whether or not a package can scale into becoming a high-end package are made very early on in the development process. As an example, while both Eagle and OrCAD have scripting support, it's almost useless in OrCAD because the commands are little more than what you could do from the regular menus -- there's no way to query the program's internal database, place a bunch of parts automatically and connect them up, etc. in a programmatic fashion.

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

I wonder why the Amiga died. I had a coworker who had one, and it was a very nice computer - he had some music transcription software, where you could draw a musical score - actually pick up notes and plunk them down on the lines and spaces - and it would play what you'd just written.

Way kewl stuff!

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Plus, the original question was "what do you *use*", and I said what I use. The discussion got sidetracked into what people *recommend*.

IMHO gEDA and PCB are definitely not high end, and in some respects may still be low end. But OTOH they support arbitrarily large projects (I've seen some REALLY big ones, too) and work (with varying degrees of effort ;) on all three major platforms (windows, unix, mac).

For a user who doesn't mind a little fiddling, gEDA/PCB might be a really good fit for them. For people who can't install software without an IT crew on call, maybe not. It's hard to make a recommendation without knowing a lot more about the user than they're usually willing to admit.

I'm content to point them at the web pages and let them decide.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

Deficiencies in the Olimex list http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:yhXwPaC3qk0J:

*-*+zz-zz+No-demo-*+qq-qq+Free+ww-ww+uu+free-trial+open-source+pp-pp+GPL+kk-kk+xx+free-download have been noted elsewhere in the thread.
snipped-for-privacy@35g2000cwc.googlegroups.com

In the interest of advocacy, you might want to examine it as well. Things I noted about the listing for "PCB": The link is old No mention of GPL or open source No mention of gEDA.

Reply to
JeffM

This is easy to accomplish when traces are bound to a netname. This also makes it much easier to do net based operations like making traces thinner or thicker. Have you ever looked into Orcad PCB? It's not the best around, but the way it uses spreadsheets to access/change the elements on the PCB is extremely powerfull and yet simple to implement.

Also something much easier to implement when they are attached to a netname.

I always want a complete silk screen (component outlines and references).

I recall having to use the right mouse button to drag components around. It is much easier if one click picks something up and another click puts it down. Or at least use the left mouse button (and leave the right button for less often used commands like 'cancel' or opening a properties dialog) because the index finger is much more trained for clicking and dragging.

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

What people use is not interesting, why people use certain tools is interesting because it gives background information and can help other people make a choice.

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

If you *don't* have a short, you can use the F key (Find) to mark an entire net, or the netlist dialog to select a net. Once it's selected, you can do all that on a net-wide basis.

No, just cadstar, but that was too long ago to remember.

No, the problem isn't the nets, it's the heavy math to intersect the polygons with everything else on the board.

PCB the way it is doesn't clip the silkscreens. It used to, but many fabs complained about the cut layers (some didn't support it at all, leaving silk over pads, others put the board on hold until you explained what you were expecting). So now we don't clip at all; if you draw over the pad, you get silk over the pad.

My question was, did you want a *second* silk layer that was *not* printed on the board, just for notes and things?

Ok, you're using an old version. The new version is different, and designed (by me) to be much easier to use (by me) for common (to me) operations.

Left mouse defaults to the arrow tool, which lets you select things, or drag-n-drop things. Right mouse moves the viewport (or ctrl-right for multi-scroll). Scroll wheel zooms in/out. Space switches from the current tool to the arrow tool, ESC cancels the current operation without switching tools.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

How about making it a user option? Some packages (I'm mainly thinking of Pulsonix here) let you define quite arbitrary layers and a mapping of what PCB objects appear on them... and how. You can make a "fabrication silkscreen" layer that you send to the PCB house that does clip silkscreens (if that's what you want) as well as a "documentation silkscreen" that doesn't, all simultaneously.

What does the scroll wheel button do? Under Windoze, that's the quasi-standard "pan" command (hold the scroll wheel button while moving the mouse).

---Joel Kolstad

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

The plan is to let the user specify all sorts of types of layers, but nobody has started implementing that. As for the silk, the deal is we're trying to teach people to not put silk over pads in their footprint libraries ;-)

Nothing yet, for lesstif. For Gtk, it can restart a tool (i.e. it's like ESC then left mouse), or it can issue a stroked command (like drawing letters on a PDA), or a couple other things with ctrl and/or shift.

My plan for lesstif is to let the user configure the mouse buttons, much like they can configure the keyboard and menus. I suspect people will want pan on the wheel button, and a pop-up menu on right button.

Reply to
DJ Delorie