Samsung LCD monitor repair question

zero,

If you have the time check the supply voltages with a scope. Sometimes cheap electrolytics dry up and cause all kinds of hickups in chips.

speed

Plastic doesn't affect RF much.

a day or so.

Hopefully it starts and there's enough gas in it. With the prices these days ...

I thought it was Marsupilami's cousin :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

On a sunny day (Fri, 04 Jul 2008 15:10:11 -0700) it happened Joerg wrote in :

OK, I have planned for a closer look Sunday, if no joy it goes back on Monday.

speed

Do they not use some plastics with different RF breaking index in microwave antennas, like in flat antennas?

Also the plastics are sometimes mixed with metal particles.

half a day or so.

Yes, promises need to be kept :-)

I did read some of the Suske and Wiske (?) (Jerommeke, Marsipulami, aunt Sidonia..) comics in my school days. The orange creature was however inspired by last years football IIRC. The Marsipulami had a _much___ longer tail with stripes IIRC.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Fri, 04 Jul 2008 23:35:40 +0100) it happened Adrian C wrote in :

I once repaired a TV for somebody, it was a Philips, and a common fault was a capacitor in the flyback changing value, causing the voltage to go way high and blow the HV multiplier. So I put in a new HV multiplier PLUS a new cap (standard procedure). He started arguing if the cap was really faulty. So I told him, why not place the old one back, and find out?

He did not.

I am not sure, I have seen them place corrections.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sat, 05 Jul 2008 09:59:29 GMT) it happened Jan Panteltje wrote in :

But can make good lenses, cannot find the link I wanted to show you, but this shows at least some aspects:

Jan Panteltje

speed

antennas,

Yes, but it's special stuff with dielectric gradients and stuff in there. Lots of Dollars. Out here it's probably less popular because the sun beats almost everything plastic into gray-brown pulp.

There used to be lead in them. Not anymore, especially after they found out that toddlers can chew on the ends of vertical blinds.

half a day or so.

Sidonia..)

Yellow with black stripes IIRC. And AFAIK it's spelled Marsupilami.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

On a sunny day (Sat, 05 Jul 2008 13:31:45 -0700) it happened Joerg wrote in :

Sure, it is unethical, but it happens. I really do not like that sort of thing. I have always tried to give my customers a good deal, there were one or 2 cases where a customer tried to take advantage of that, but that was actually the error of the guy we had who took in the repairs, he was not technical, and under estimated the problem.

We have 'consumentenbond' a big consumer organisation. Sometimes, if enough people complain there about the same thing, they may start legal proceeding for a group.

I once was a member, one day ran into a problem with an ISP, asked their free (for members) legal advice, followed it to the letter. The advice turned out to be 100% misinformed. Solved it myself, cancelled my subscription to 'consumentenbond'.

Yep, that is the way it should be. These days doing an internet search may turn up things too.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

If you still have the receipt, try beating the retail vendor over the head.

Reply to
JosephKK

On a sunny day (Sat, 05 Jul 2008 09:59:29 GMT) it happened Jan Panteltje wrote in :

Well, ... Did not want to damage it, and void the guarantee. Called Alternate.nl (where I bought it) on Monday, after filling out return forms etc. They told me: 'Send it to us, and it takes 6(!) weeks. But we can give you a Samsung phone number, send it to them, and then it will only be 3 weeks'.

So called the Samsung number, they will contact me in 24 hours and pick it up at my place. Not bad!

So far so good.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Tell that to some of the companies involved in this story:

Joel Koltner

On a sunny day (Sat, 05 Jul 2008 09:59:29 GMT) it happened Jan Panteltje wrote in :

forms etc.

at my place.

Monitor came back today, works perfectly again.

16 days, free pickup and delivery, nothing to pay, a PLUS for Samsung!
Reply to
Jan Panteltje