S, Z matrix question

Maybe some electronics guru here please claify this ? Is adding the S matrices of two devices the same as adding the Z matrices, given that the S matrix of a device can be obtained from the Z matrix and vice versa.

For example, I want to destabilize a RF BJT, I can add positive feedback to its base with a series inductor. The Z matrix of the combination is the sum of the Z matrices of the BJT and the inductor. Is this operation the same as adding the S matrices of the two and then obtining the Z matrix of the combination ?

Thanks for your thoughts and ideas on this.

Reply to
dakupoto

The S matrices are dependent on source and load impedance, the Z matrices aren't, so to get the Z matrix of the combination from the S matrices pretty sure the way it has to go is the S matrices of the cascade have to be normalized such that that the output of the first is normalized to the input of the second or vice versa, and then the combination has to be de-normalized with respect to the input impedance of the first and output of the second in conversion to Z:

Reply to
bitrex