RoHS solder - which type?

Just starting to play around with this stuff. I picked up a roll of 0.8mm Sn99.3 Cu0.7 solder on spec, and to my surprise it solders just fine on my WTCP iron with a '7' tip.

It just looks rather crappy when it solidifies- a bit like a cold solder joint. Still, not that bad.

Is the tin-bismuth alloy solder any better or worse?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I've been using a couple wire solders from AIM and Kester, with relatively decent results. I have more concerns with the flux than the solder, actually. Both of these are SAC305, so they have 3% silver, I think to help wetability.

I have been using some solder paste from England that is essentially SAC 405, and it is awesome. It looks like really NICE SnPb solder, mirror-bright. This is from Warton Metals, and I'm pretty sure they sell wire and bar as well as the paste.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

tm

Better in what way(s), Robert?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Tin Silver is far better..can even get it at RatSh**.

Reply to
Robert Baer