Robotics Project

I've got an idea for a simple robot-toy. RF controlled with two wheels, independently driven on either end of a cylindrical body. The body should be counter weighted, so that driving the motors will propel the robot forward, driving them at a differential speed will cause it to turn (steer).

I want to build this in a section of 2" diameter iron pipe. Each 'wheel' will be a pipe end cap with the threads milled out and suitable bearings so they can rotate with respect to the body.

The idea is to leave it someplace in the open and wait for the bomb squad to sent its robot out to take a look at it. At the last moment, the pipe just rolls away a few feet. A chase between the two should make for some really interesting footage on the 5 o'clock news. ;-)

Our bombs are smarter than the average high school student.
At least they can find Kuwait. - A. Whitney Brown
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

I wouldn't advocate doing this, but note that you can roll a pipe or ball by moving a weight within it (cf. hamster in ball) -- you do not actually have to have wheels on the ends.

Reply to
mc

Might have some trouble steering a pipe this way. I'm anticipating a long chase.

Anyway, I'm going to have my legal department advise me on any problems that might arise, no matter how trivial. ;-)

We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities.
                -- Walt Kelly, "Pogo"
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

YOu could use a combination of the two - use the dangling weight, and have _one_ wheel able to turn relative to the pipe, which would let you steer the thing.

Can you say, "Homeland Security?" ;-)

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise