RF prototypes/ ARRL handbook

I gave one of my new engineers a lecture on schematic esthetics.

Lines should line up exactly or not at all.

Grounds should be at the same y-position on a sheet, or not at all.

Multiple channels should be identical.

Line widths and fonts should be consistent.

Overall layout should be balanced and nice to look at.

Part labels should always be

R99 2.39K RES/1206 < optional, only if not default

The first sheet of a schematic is block diagram and table of contents.

Things like that.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Huh is there a reason for that, besides your aesthetics? I put ground all over in my schematics.. right at the end of the component typically.

Hardly anyone besides me, cares what my schematics look like. That makes me very lazy.. and then I'm going back adding notes and waveforms.. (as later reminders to myself.)

I've gotten better with time.... an engineer needs to marinate for ~10 yrs... I guess that's a pickling not a marinade.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

seven sets of phoneme to grapheme translations visible in the accepted spe llings, and it's tricky to work out which one is used for a particular word .

in carvings in South America,

raphic one.

, but with several

ialect.

g.

Duh, didn't you see three requirements down? How would you measure "nice t o look at"? Oh right, you know it when you see it.

The people who build my boards have to debug them. So I need to provide th em with reasonable documentation.

After this last go around, I'm going to work on adding diagnostic features to the test program. Normally they have maybe as many as 1 in 20 failures or less. This last batch they had more like 1 in 10 or worse. Now that I have talked them through a number of problems I should be able to provide s ome better hints at what to look at when a given test fails.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

Well, 10 years makes you a thousand-year-old egg.

Phil Hobbs

(a tough old egg as well)

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

A better convention is 2k39. The period symbol is impractically small.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Now we know how to wind you up :)

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

"I was human... But, um, but I was just referring to myself in the past."---Zuckerberg

Reply to
Simon S Aysdie