resistors as fuses

Lemme see, the wholesale PRINTING of "money" ie debasement is "good"??

Reply to
Robert Baer

You've got a ~2V cell and a sense circuit that draws 1 mA. That's 2000 ohms. Change your sense circuit to 1000 ohms, and install the other 1000 ohms at the cell, as George recommends. Or, if adding 1000 ohms to the 2000 ohm monitoring circuit does not cause a noise problem and you can adjust the sense circuit for the lower current, do that. Best case, if the monitoring wiring shorts, the 1K limits the short circuit current to 2 mA. Worst case, if the situation somehow occurs where the + lead from the cell at +100 volts shorts to the - lead of the first cell, you've got 100 volts across 1000 ohms. That's 100 mA, or 10 watts. From the datasheet, the flameproof fusible resistors should open at < 4 watts. Size your monitoring wiring for 200 mA or more and you're done.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

"good"??

I'd like to print money in de basement, but I don't have one. :)

How is the printing of money any different from big mortgage bankers = valuing=20 a $50,000 house at $100,000, giving a mortgage to an illiterate, = unemployed=20 ex-con with a drug habit, valuing that at $200,000, and then declaring = it an=20 asset on their books. They just "printed" $150,000, and then gave 20% of =

that to the corrupt loan officer as a bonus, and perhaps they sold it to = an=20 investment firm who used it to show a nice increase in the value of=20 someone's retirement portfolio?

There are all sorts of dealings going on that are simply WRONG, and the=20 perpetrators get a slap on the wrist, and the corrupt corporations get=20 bailed with money the government does not have but expects to get when = the=20 economy starts growing again. But it cannot continue growing, and the = Ponzi=20 scheme is falling apart with the middle class taxpayers losing out.

I don't pretend to understand economics, but I know that the basis of = most=20 wealth in the US and most other countries is simply the expectation that =

growth can continue its exponential curve with no consequences, and = money=20 can be made from money. Whose fault is it? You and me to some extent, = but=20 mostly those who do not have a clue and are blinded by the bullshit of=20 political con artists who are elected by them based on unrealistic = promises=20 on which they cannot deliver. But most people do not know enough to make =

wise choices, and those in power do everything possible to hide the = truth=20 and maintain the fairy tale just long enough for them to get their = moments=20 of glory and financial gain.

Paul=20

Reply to
P E Schoen

ws

een

There's pretty much overwhelming scientific evidence that the warming we've already seen has been caused by the CO2 we've injected into the atmosphere by burning fossil carbon. How much more warming we will get if we keep on burning fossil carbon involves forecasting interactions in a complex system, and we can't be all that precise, but we can be confident that business as usual will leave us in a state that we'd be well advised to avoid.

Certainly true. And the US balance of payments deficit us pretty much what you spent on importing oil.

and

icans/8880467/Republi...

Really? The developing contries are going to keep on developing because copying what the advanced industrial countries have done is easy, and much cheaper than working it out for yourself. The advanced industrial countries are going to keep on developing, but rather more slowly than they used to - quite a lot of their productive capacity is going to have to be devoted to replacing their fossil-carbon-burning energy sources with more sustainable generating plant. This isn't economic collapse, though the stock market may become less profitable than it has been.

And lost - which does seem to be the basis of the current slow-down

xt

Perhaps. But a lot of the current economic growth depends on making and selling stuff - like mobile phones - that Hyman Rickover would have had trouble seeing as mass market products. Technological development changes what counts as a scarce and valuable natural resource.

ept

Nonsense. There's no reason why we can't get all the energy we need from sustainable sources, and no reason to think that you can add value without burning up every-increasing amounts of energy per unit added value.

People see value in music, video's and written text and there's very little energy involved in presenting any of them.

an

The US goes in for fairly extravagant income inequality for an advanced industrial country - and the top 1% have managed to grab most the benefits of economic growth since the late 1970's

They do need to rein in that segment of the population - not least because the rich could be become even richer if they invested more in feeding and educating their work force and more in keeping them healthier for longer, all areas where the US does rather badly for an advanced industrial country.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

d"??

Inflation is bad, but everybody seems to act as if around 2% inflation per year is perfectly okay. If the EU were "printing money wholesale" which isn't actually true, it still isn't printing enough to generate any appreciable inflation.

At the moment, the printing presses seem to be injecting rather less money into the economy than has been subtracted from it by all the nervous capitalists who won't invest while the economy is in recession. This could turn around in a moment, but it's easy to turn off the printing presses, rather more difficult to stop exuberant capitalists from making ninja loans to over-optimistic house buyers and blowing up new house price bubble.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

My personal response is that you are asking the wrong people. Ask Cooper Bussman, the electric protection fuse makers. Call their competitors = too. If any of them makes something for this purpose, chances are all of them will.

BTW 50 X 4V ea is 200 V. With perhaps thousands of amperes on tap you = are well into Arc Flash Hazard territory. (cf. Tombstone territory).

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

Yo, not on track. OP is talking about many large bare cells here, not commercially peddled battery packs.

No. I wouldn't even think about trusting even fusible links for this = with a consult from multiple manufacturers.

?-(

Reply to
josephkk