diagnosing non working rs485 bus

I am trying to figure out why my prsamp and keypads do not communicate. I have an elan z630 and z100 keeypads. they communicate through an rj45 jack that has two wires labelled rs485+ and rs485-. The key pads have power and the led light up red. It is suppossed to light green. I opened the preamp and found two toasted fuses near the rj485 and i replaced them. I also replaced 3 old optoisolators because i know they are surge sensitive. Still no communication up and beyond powering up. I am trying to figure out what critical components there are in the rs485 circuitry so I can simply remove and replace. The preamp is part of a larger system and is 10 years old. The company will not repair anymore. So I realize this is a naive question, but should i just pull every small resistor, capacitor, and diode in sight and replace or is there a method I can use. I do not have an oscilloscope all I have is a multimeter.

Thanks

bill13

There should be an RS-485 transceiver chip at each end of the link; it's probably got eight pins and the popular one has '485' in the part number.

Each wire of an RS-485 link is going to be at 0V or 5V if there's traffic, and will be floating if there isn't. If there is traffic then the rs485- line will _always_ be opposite of the rs485+ line. That "floating if there isn't" is going to make it nasty to debug without knowing how your specific system behaves, though. Put a voltmeter on it

-- if one line is at 0V or 5V and the other is wiggling then it's a transceiver problem. Both lines being stuck at 0 or 5 doesn't mean much (because they float with no traffic) unless you can determine that they definitely don't wiggle on power up, which is practically impossible to do with a voltmeter.

Ideally you'd look at both lines with an oscilloscope at power up, to see if they both wiggle. If you have a friend with an oscilloscope, now may be the time to buy a pack of beer or a bottle of wine and show up on their doorstep.

If you're just going to replace parts, start with the '485 transceivers

-- they'll be the chips that the '485 lines go to. Success is _not_ guaranteed.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

jack

and

preamp

figure

10

and

have

I am desperatatly trying to find the transceiver. I googled the id number of every chip on board and non are identified as transceiver. do all rs485 cirucuits have transceivers? thanks bill

bill13

power

also

is

capacitor,

number.

number

rs485

which carries my rs485 data. it is a max 1483 surface mounted. I will replace as you suggested. Is this a very vulnable part? do i need to locate a driver chip? thanks for adding your expertise, I really am a novice on an uphill learning curve.

again thanks

bill13