Remote control of gate, suggestions

Hi guys,

An easier question this time. This place I have recently bought out in the sticks has a 12v gate opener in one of the sheds. I have tried it and it seems to work OK, but there is nothing else to go with it.

Anyone now of kits of the following bits??

Key ring transmitter

12v Receiver with relay Programmable, 10-digit key pad with relay for friends to use.

I have it hooked up with a 12v battery and a small solar trickle charger, but I have to get out of the car and hold a button down and that is not the whole idea.

I can control the stop on open and close with limit switches to drop power to the opener.

Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

--
Kind regards,
  Jenny and her tribe of survivors.

Thanks Rich, I'll check it out.

--
Kind regards,
  Jenny and her tribe of survivors.
Reply to
Jenny3kids

Buy a wireless doorbell at the hardware store. Hack a relay into the chime and use it to control the motor. Put the door button on your keychain. Usually both ends are powered by batteries, so you will have to change the battery periodically.

Buy a remote door lock kit at an auto parts store or car stereo / car alarm shop. It will come with a nice keychain transmitter and the receiver is guaranteed to work on 12 V DC.

Linx

sells such things, but it will probably cost more than the above options.

A little harder. The wired kind used to be sold for garage door openers, but I don't know if they're commonly available anymore. Most of the links online are for wireless, and it'll be hard to find a wireless garage door transmitter that matches a wireless doorbel or a car door lock kit.

You might be able to adapt something that is meant for home security system use. alt.security.alarms might be a place to ask about this.

Suggestion: Keep the button, or replace it with a key switch, as a backup in case the radio link isn't working. You might even rig up a connector so that +12 V can be supplied from your vehicle in case there is a problem with the battery.

Suggestion 2: If it doesn't already have one, you might consider adding a circuit breaker (not a fuse) in the motor circuit. This protects the motor in case a limit switch fails or the gate gets iced shut or stuck in the mud. Auto parts stores will have 12 V circuit breakers up to

30 A; RV shops will have ones that go higher than that.

Standard disclaimer: I don't get money from any of the companies mentioned above.

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds