remote antenna for DCF77 clock

It's doable; here's the spec:

, but, as you say, it's not like plain ASCII or anything - how hard is it to decode Morse code? :-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Hello Bernhard,

That should be pretty low noise.

Then it looks like your receiver contains an intelligent SNR detector.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Hello Michael,

Just make sure there is some kind of dielectric between the diecast box and the pipe. Humid Florida weather could trigger pretty nasty corrosion. Don't know but could a brass box be better here?

Yeah, those trick of the trade. Did them as well but we did not have the luxury of shop vacs and compressors. Often there wasn't even any power yet. Once I 'blew' a wad through there using a pair of bellows. Tried an air mattress pump first but the bellows worked better. It's just that it takes a few hundred blows until the wad cometh and then your arms seem to fall off. Once I was pumping like crazy when someone asked "What's this here on the ground"? My wad and string, and I hadn't seen it.

I wish I had a pipe underneath the driveway, to operate the sprinkler valves on the other side. But in the 70's folks didn't seem to have that foresight. The hose tunneling trick won't work here, too many large rocks.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Hello Rich,

It's all doable, especially with the newer generation of uC. Decoding morse is no big deal, done it more than 20 years ago. But you have to build this thing from scratch and it takes time.

IIRC the 20kHz WWVL signal listed on that doucment has been taken out of service a long time ago.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

It seems this insight was wrong. The rod of the ferrite antenna has to be perpendicular to the direction of the transmitter so the coil is oriented just contrary as if it had been an air core loop. I hope this time I'm right.

Bernhard

Reply to
Bernhard Kuemel