audio transformers

Who makes small (pc mount, signal-level) audio transformers these days?

I need..

potted or decently varnished open-frame

3:1 stepup or so, maybe 60:600 ohms or such

50-100 mW

50 Hz-30 KHz, but maybe reduced voltage swing at low frequencies

0.6" cube or less maybe

Under $10 at 100 pieces

This will be used on the output of a multichannel wave/function generator to boost the output from 20 v p-p (opamp levels) to 60 v p-p floating. SSRs will kick in the transformer when it's needed, to simulate VR speed pickups or engine-driven alternators in jet engine test stands.

I looked at Triad and Tamura, and got some near misses. The catalogs (Mouser, Digikey, Allied, Newark) have very little audio stuff these days.

John

Hello John,

I'll go through my lab bins to see who made the ones in there (but has to me tomorrow night, got to run). Meantime, maybe try Murata. You might also try Muxlab in Canada. They usually sell modules with connectors but at 100+ might be willing to sell the innards.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Hello John,

Ok, I looked in the lab bin and here is the brand I used in the past:

They also have non-mil versions. Down to 50Hz will be tough and you might not exactly get 60ohms. Their web site is pretty messed up but their products are nice.

Triad is located in Caleefohniah (Corona). Of course :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

This is not exactly what you want but the price is good and they have great mechanical documentation:

I have bought a couple of individual parts from them and they were very good quality. They offer custom runs.

Reply to
mw

You'll need something fairly special for those voltages. It certainly isn't '600 ohms' for sure.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Yeah, it may need to be a special. These guys...

did some custom magnetics for us a while back, very nice work and good pricing... USA design and manufactured in India. I guess I may have to go the pita custom route if nothing stock shows up. All I really need is 60 volts p-p, very low power, and maybe less voltage on the low frequency end. Both the VR speed sensors and alternators tend to produce voltage proportional to frequency.

John

'600

What's the load ? How good does frequency and transient response need to be ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

50:500 might work.

Cheers, John

Reply to
John - KD5YI

No way any standard transformer is going to have the volt-second rating IMHO.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

"Eeyore"

** A Lo-to Hi Z mic transformer meets the basic spec.

Eg, one used in a Shure 545 outputs 60 volts p-p at 100 Hz into 47 k with low THD.

Response is flat, -3dB at 50 kHz into the same load.

Dim: 26 x 14 x 18 mm.

Shame it is an auto.

Isolation ones must exist.

........ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

'600

I was going to suggest these guys. I've worked with them too. Doing a custom design with them was incredibly painless; took about 10 minutes in a visit, then we spent a while talking about fishing! The little transformers they made worked perfectly in my application.

Being less than five miles from them made a visit real easy to do.

Reply to
Don Foreman

In message , dated Wed, 30 Aug 2006, John Larkin writes

Jensen.

-- OOO - Own Opinions Only. Try

and

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

John Woodgate

This will do ~ 60V pk-pk @ 50Hz. That'll be the tricky spec. Quite a bit bigger than you want though.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

I've found a Lundahl that's good for 55V pk-pk @ 50Hz ( 1% THD )

LL1588 Quite a size though.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

In message , dated Wed, 30 Aug 2006, John Larkin writes

For those voltages and the size constraint, you need a special design. But you probably don't need a nickel-iron core; a silicon-iron one will do and that would be much cheaper. A COTS part will be bigger and more costly than you want.

How low in voltage at 50 Hz can you go, and at what frequency do you need to handle 7 V (+20 dBu, nearly) input? These are crucial in determining core size.

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

John Woodgate

--
http://www.picoelectronics.com/index.htm

But you won\'t like their pricing...
Reply to
John Fields

"Eeyore"

** JL's naive size & cost and performance specs cannot be simultaneously met by any practical design - which is completely consistent with his being self admitted bi-polar sufferer.

Once the malicious, arrogant posturing ASS take his fist off his tiny c*ck and relaxes ANY one of them - the task is dead simple.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I believe I mentioned that I don't need the full 60 volts p-p at low frequencies, since I'm mostly simulating jet-engine alternators. My customer is currently using a tiny and - no surprise - very expensive Pico part to do this, and I have at least 5x the available volume to work in. I would like to get the most voltage at 50 Hz as possible, so I'd like to use all the iron that will fit.

But what's this fascination you have for the nether elements of male anatomy?

John

Yeah, that would work except for being huge. I have partisans for using a dc-dc converter, a floating amp, and optical isolation to get the hv floating output, 8 channels per board, and I must fight these lunatics off.

John

Yeah, my customer is already using a Pico part, at about $40 a pop. I don't want to spend anything like that, not with 8 transformers per board.

John