Refrigerate after stenciling/pick&place

The solder paste I'm using allows for eight hours between stenciling and reflow. Can one increase that time by refrigerating again? Since PCB assembly isn't exactly my "day job", I want the flexibility to stencil then leave for a few days before pick&place or pick&place then leave for a few days before reflow. Any thoughts on this?

Reply to
oparr

I don't know the answer, but I'm curious - do you have your own pick and place machine or are you doing it manually?

-- Joe

Reply to
J.A. Legris

I believe the problem is in the solder paste *oxidizing*...

Reply to
Robert Baer

If that's the case (certainly plausible) then drop the board into one of these gizmos and pull a vacuum in it before tossing it in the fridge.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Manually, us>

Reply to
oparr

Agreed, an air-tight storage container is the best thing to use. Even though ideal, don't think a vacuum is necessary at least not with the paste I'm using. Stencil paste is more forgiving when compared to syringe paste.

Reply to
oparr

en

A vacuum might even make things worse if the paste is actually drying out. Then again, maybe a relatively inert atmosphere would work better, such as N or CO2. Try e-mailing the paste manufacturer.

-- Joe

Reply to
J.A. Legris