Reading erased flash memory

If it's file structured, maybe only the directory has been erased. So the data may still be there in cluster-sized blocks, which you could read and try to put back in order somehow. If it's all erased, it's gone.

John

Typically it's in FAT format on the card. Perhaps Norton Disk Doctor might work on it. In DOS files are erased by just clearing the first byte of the name to a null, IIRC, so provided you can supply that character all the rest of the data may still be if (if it has not been overwritten).

I recall getting files back once with a program called UE or unerase or something like that.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I have a SD flash memory card [256 meg] that's been accidentally erased. The original data on the card is extremely important and needs to be recovered. Does anyone know if this is possible? The forensic computer services I've contacted suggest it might be but they aren't sure. Other than trying to open the package non destructively and possibly scan the chip with an ATF microscope ...looking for residual charges, does anyone have a suggestion? Thanks, Peter

Reply to
PeterH2072

If the files were erased by the operating system, there is hope. If the flash memory was erased at the hardware level, you are on your own.

Anyway, before you do anything else with the "disk," you should be able to copy it verbatim and work with the copy instead of the "disk" itself.

You could get one of those standalone live CD's for linux, and copy the entire CF card using the unix command "dd."

Maybe something like this:

dd if=/dev/sd0 of=

The resulting output file will be the same size as the disk capacity, and will just be a sequential dump of every byte on the disk, in order.

Then if you want, you can take another CF card and use dd the other way:

dd if= of=/dev/sd0

Do this very carefully, then put the card in a locked cabinet somewhere or send it off to a professional data recovery place, or whatever.

Obviously this is not the forum to discuss this sort of thing, but I'm sure you can find information about this on the WWW. The key term is probably "computer forensics" or something like that.

Good Luck!

--Mac

Reply to
Mac

erased. The

recovered.

services I've

trying to open

suggestion?

If the data are photos, this product works very well.

I've had it for a couple years and it has bailed me out a couple of times. Deleting files or even formatting in a camera will not overwrite the data. I bought a used (thought it was new) CF card on eBay and found a whole bunch of pictures from the previous owner. GG

Reply to
stratus46

Indeed, the ATA specification is markedly similar for IDE and SD devices. At least I think it is SD devices. Is it CF? Anyways, goto

and look under documents, you can find ATAPI-6 datasheets for the ATA/SD protocols. (Older specs might be easier to read actually, less clutter.)

-M

Reply to
Mark Jones

open

I recovered one for a neighbor that wiped out his kids birthday party that they had in Italy with the family. He was in a panic, reminded me of Daffy Duck when he made the egg disappear. I used a program called oo_unerase. Worked just fine.

Jim

Reply to
James Beck

                          Regards,  SPAJKY ®
   &  visit my site @ http://www.spajky.vze.com
              E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##
Reply to
Spajky

I've used a similar thing called photrecovery for digital media. I have it installed on my machine right now. If I can find the installer, I'll be happy to send it to you.

I've used a similar thing called photrecovery for digital media. I have it installed on my machine right now. If I can find the installer, I'll be happy to send it to you.

Reply to
K8JLF