Reading a spec sheet for a power socket

I was contemplating using one of these

Am I missing something, or does the spec sheet

not give enough information to determine the position of the plastic mounting pins?

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

For *power*? OK, seems an odd use (and one that might confuse folks!)

Appears to give neither position nor dimensions!

Reply to
Don Y

I'm not sure of this, but I think the plastic pins are stand-offs to prevent seating the connector all the way down on the center electrode that runs beneath.

Reply to
John S

Ah, no not power. I was looking at another for power. This is for a signal! As for confusing people, it would only be confusing me, and there's ample evidence that that's easy to do.

I think it's saying they're 1.4mm thick, but I haven't been able to deduce a position.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

OK, that makes a kind of sense.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

That was my initial assumption; but, the *photo* seems to show the pins as having a smaller diameter at the tips -- as if the body protruded through a mounting hole and the tips were melted over to secure it.

Reply to
Don Y

Thickness, yes. But, there doesn't seem to be any indication of how far beyond (below) the seating plane they extend. Note the wide conductor (outer shell of the cylinder) folding under the connector body between those pins -- do the plastic pins sit atop the PCB or does that metal folded-under piece form the seating plane (with the plastic pins protruding beyond, into the board)?

Reply to
Don Y

The first link you provided can show an enlarged photo. That was what I studied.

Reply to
John S

dimensions: diameter 1.4 length 3.0 and the middle pair are 2.0 from the front pair.

location of terminal "2" is also a mystery

perhaps ask for a footprint drawing.

--
umop apisdn
Reply to

they will have smaller diameter at the tips, but that's only because the part is injection moulded,

--
umop apisdn
Reply to

Yes, that's what it is. Here's a **much** better datasheet (for a different part but probably compatible)

It actually has a recommended PCB footprint/layout and a **schematic** showing **pin numbers**.

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

I'm guessing again, but yours is a three-circuit component whereas I think she wants a two-circuit component.

Reply to
John S

Also, the two outside pins are closer to each other by about 2mm, I think.

Reply to
John S

Right, and as you say it's not compatible. It is a good example of a proper datasheet.

Most of the two-contact ones seem to have only two electrical pins.

What's with the connector people not bothering to show internal schematics? It's supposed to be obvious I suppose.

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

These are phono jacks, is that what you wanted?

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Sure. Leave the design engineer guessing. A good way to loose sales.

Reply to
John S

I'm sure you realize that they're stamped out of a long flat strip of material in a progressive die.

To make them round-ish would require a more complex die. It's done for things like those Molex connectors used for 3.5" disk drives.

A stamped slot in a PCB isn't much more difficult than a round hole, and you can call out drilled slots in non-stamped PCBs.

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Making slots must be more time consuming on the machine, and thereby increase the cost.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

If it's a serious quantity application, the PCB punch die set won't be much different in cost. I know that for a fact.

CNC-PCB stuff is low quantity and wouldn't have been of much concern to the designers of a part that sells for pennies and is targeted at consumer applications.

That's my guess anyway.

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Obviously it costs something but the edges of the board are usually routed (if not stamped) anyway. It's just another, small, routing operation.

Reply to
krw