Re: Transfer function

>> Spice, but if you look at it from the right angle you can often get > >> loads of useful information. > > >> Most circuits are either simple enough that someone has already > >> cataloged their transfer functions (or you can derive them easily > >> enough yourself), or complicated enough that if you ignore all of the > >> parasitics and nonlinearities you're doing yourself no favors -- yet > >> factoring in the parasitics makes the transfer functions exceedingly > >> opaque, while factoring in the nonlinearities renders the whole concep=
>> of transfer function analysis invalid. > > > A symbolic algebra program is probably your best bet, or else using > > something like Octave to fit some suitable curve to the output of a > > SPICE AC analysis. > > Depends on whether you want to plug in numbers or keep the component > values as symbolic (which gets _really_ messy _really_ fast). > > Something like Scilab (and I think Octave) will let you fairly easily > reduce a circuit to a transfer function with numeric coefficients (or a > state-space representation as polynomials are insanely sensitive to > numerical accuracy issues). =A0I've used this when I want to include a > filter or something in a larger system model. > > --www.wescottdesign.com

The HP3562 DSA has a mode to derive the transfer function from what it measures. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. Of course, I've never fed the box something that I didn't know the transfer function of already.

The RF network analyzers can fit a response to a model, but that's not quite the same thing.

Reply to
miso