Re: Techniques for high speed (GHz) current sensing

Hi there - I am looking at methods of sensing current in an Avalanche

> PhotoDiode (APD). Typical current in them is along the lines of 100 nA > to 1 mA. I'm trying to figure out how to sense current in the buggers. > Here is what I think I need:

Look, I'm no expert, but what's wrong with a "virtual ground" transconductance opamp circuit? Don't current sources "like" working into shorts?

> So - is this at all possible? Can anybody point me down the right > path? I'm not even sure what sort of technique I should be using with > this - resistive shunt, transformer, hall effect, etc. >

Neither do I, but these guys at least sell something like it

I have a much older DC current probe, DC-50MHz, and it uses a complicated feedback circuit combining the output of a Hall sensor and a transformer. I don't understand how it works, but it does.

Anyways, what's wrong with a resistor? Too noisy?

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1