current sensing

Looking for a little help with a simple voltage regulator I'm building for an antique vehicle with a DC generator. The armature puts out a current that goes through a blocking diode in the regulator, into the positive terminal of the battery. I need to limit the current to 10 amps. If I just string the b/e junction of a bjt across a sense resistor, then the resistor would have to dissipate 6 or 7 watts during current limiting. I don't want to use a bulky sense resistor and develop that much extra heat so I'm looking for a scheme that will use a sense resistor with a lower voltage drop across it. Any ideas?

P.S. I have to put the sense resistor between the armature and the battery positive because the ground connection of the voltage regulator will carry only the field current, not the current from the armature. The charging current from the armature goes through the chassis and the ground strap attached to the battery's negative terminal.

Thanks in advance, Kell

Reply to
kell

I just thought of something very simple. With a pnp transistor's b/e junction set across a sense resistor placed in the current path into the battery's positive terminal, I can bring the pnp transistor's base down a few tenths of a volt by connecting it to a voltage divider across the battery, effectively reducing the voltage needed across Rs to turn the transistor on. Anybody see any problems with this?

Reply to
kell

See

The LM105/205/305 are all obsolete, but they used this technique.The problems are the tolerance on the base-emitter voltage (around 200mV) and the temperature dependence (-2mV/C).

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Reply to

use an opamp, or comparator.

A linear discrete amp is another possibility.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Go to your local auto recycler (you may have to shop around a bit) and try to find a voltage regulator from the same vintage and model of car, clean its contacts, and slap it in. :-)

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Have a look at:

They have three terminal current sensing devices that will output to 5V! Nice package...

Reply to
scada

A comparator or opamp that works at the +Ve rail is good, but it's possible to work with common discrete transistors and low-value sense resistors, if two transistors are used...

.. + -----+--+-- Rsense --+----> To Batt (+) .. | '-----, | .. Rc | | .. | c\\| | .. \\e |----' .. PNP |---+--e/| NPN .. /c | .. | R .. Rload | .. | | .. - -----+-----+---------------> To Batt (-)

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Ed, clip that conductor that shorts the upper resistor and you'll see what I was talking about. Anyway, I just thought of something a little better and just as simple.

Reply to
kell

it's possible to work with common discrete transistors

I guess I'll have to get your book, look up the circuit you just posted and read about it so I can get my naches (Yiddish for brains) around it.

Reply to
kell

--

Kind Regards

David Huisman
General Manager
ORBIT COMMUNICATIONS Pty Ltd - Wireless Solutions that Work
(Telemetry, Control, Monitoring, Security, HVAC ...)
A.C.N. 107 441 869

Website : http://www.orbitcoms.com
PO Box 4474 Lakehaven
NSW 2263, AUSTRALIA
Phone: 61-2-4393-3627
Fax  : 61-2-4393-3685
Mobile: 61-413-715-986
Reply to
David

It doesn't reduce the rsense wattage, and the divider isn't a divider - the top resistor is shorted.

Draw it - you'll see the problems:

  • -----+---[Rsense]---+---+---> To Batt (+) | | | | | [Rdivider] \e | | PNP |------------+---+ /c | | [Rdivider] [Rload] | | |

- -----+------------------+---> To Batt (-)

You could use a .01 ohm 3W as the sense resistor, with a comparator circuit if you must avoid a high wattage resistor.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Look into antique generators and you'll find out why. It's not an alternator. It's an ANTIQUE GENERATOR. ON AN ANTIQUE BIKE.

Reply to
kell

Sorry I yelled Rick.

Win: It looks like the tempcos of the transistors cancel!

Reply to
kell

I'm wondering why you want to limit the generator output to 10 amps....

Reply to
Rick

doesn't seem substantially differnt to this:

. + -----+----- Rsense --+----> To Batt (+) . | | . Rc | . | | . \\e ' . PNP |---+---|

Reply to
Jasen Betts

Reply to
Winfield Hill

correct

exactly what I'm doing See this link about how old GM generators work. My bike works the same. It's a two-brush generator, twelve volts

I've already built two prototype elctronic voltage regulators that work just fine. I'm not making all the ignorant mistakes people are ascribing to me. My original post was about how to implement current limiting, because the voltage regulators I built don't have it.

Reply to
kell

Read the book, see the movie. :-)

Assuming matched transistors and operating currents (not comletely possible, but anyway...), the output voltage on Rload is Vo = I Rsense * Rload/Rc.

If an opamp is substituted, better accuracy may be enjoyed.

.. + -----+--- Rsense ----+----> To Batt (+) .. | | .. Rc | .. +------------, | .. | __ | | .. c\\| / +|--' | .. NPN |---< | | .. e/| \\_-|-----' .. | .. Rload .. | .. - -----+--------------------> To Batt (-)

Note the transistor is now an NPN type, and note the opamp's inputs must be able to operate near the positive rail if the opamp is powered from the + input line.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

I vaguely recall a low-drop high-side current sensing circuit along the lines of the ascii sketch below.

Iout*Rs = I1*R1 - I2*R2

The relative values of R1 and R2 were adjusted so that Vswitched changed logic state at a defined Iout.

I haven't done any sums yet to find out the optimum value for Vbase (probably with respect to V+), etc.

--
Tony Williams.
Reply to

Stability. The threshold depends on VBE which has a temperature coefficient of -2mV/C. Also the bias voltage is derived from the 12V which is probably not too stable. A better solution is to use a PNP long-tailed pair. This gives a good CMRR without needing presicion resistors round an op-amp

Reply to
Derek Potter