Re: ping Jörg: on what 'raw data' is

>>Eeyore wrote: >>> Joerg wrote: >> >> thread drift >> >>>> Secondly, the assertion that they do that to "burden the scientist" is >>>> not a proper fact statement, it is a clear case of judgement and the >>>> writer had better back that up. I don't see where he did. That lessens >>>> my interest in a certain piece of writing rather dramatically because >>>> in my eyes it makes it lose credibility, whether it's an answer to a >>>> blog or whatever. >>> >>> The story Steve McIntyre was finally told was that the raw data belonged >>> to the intended publisher of Mann's report and was therefore >>> confidential under copyright legislation !!! ( source Steve McIntyre ) >>> >>> In other words, a proper peer review was made impossible. >>> >>That has deeper implications for data that is owned by businesses >>who are used as outsources for the work. I've been worrying about this >>for a long time. >> >>/BAH > >Hmmph. I had been led to believe that work paid for by public monies was by >definition public domain. WestLaw last a big lawsuit over that.

Apparently research paid for with public funds actually belongs to a few highly profitable publishers like Elsevier, Springer, Wiley. Their abstracts are deliberately pitched such as to be vague enough that you have to buy a $25 paper just to find out that it's not useful.

I have to resort to subterfuges (like fudging on student IDs) to get at this stuff.

John

Cool. Too bad it's all wet stuff.

has more physics.

John

But if our tax dollars paid for it, is it not already paid for?

Don Klipstein

Google does it for free. And publicly-funded research could easily be burned to DVDs that could be ordered at the cost of production.

John

is

lessens

belonged

Most journals charge the authors a "page fee". They get everybody coming and going.

John