Re: OT: Taxes

This has more to do with folly of your undercontrolled banking system.

> You do seem to have noticed that the US house price bubble burst a > year or so ago, but you want to blame the consequent contraction of > the economy on over-hgih tax rates?

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

One has to separate short-term stuff (think "weather") from long-term effects ("climate")

It's absurd that the more jobs you create, the more unemployment tax you pay. And if you do create 1000 person-years of jobs, and can't keep up that pace forever, you are penalized, when I think you should get a medal. It's entirely rational to have all your chips packaged, and boards stuffed, and maybe your FPGAs designed, in Indonesia or India.

John

It's also absurd to think infinite benefits can be squeezed out of companies without killing jobs. That's what the unions did to heavy industry.

All these benefits have costs.

Our new minimum wage just kicked in, so that teenagers looking for their first job can earn enough to support a small family. Result? Teen unemployment is now over 50%.

Taxes? Sure, we need taxes, obviously. But let's not be stupid.

And if you do create 1000 person-years of jobs, and can't

You get my nomination for a medal John, for manufacturing valor behind Pelosi lines.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

I thought Jim Yanik was telling us it's the illegal immigrants keeping teens from getting jobs? :-)

Personally, given how high adult unemployment is now, I suspect one of the reasons teen unemployment is so high is that many adults are willing to take an at-/near-minimum-wage job just to try to get by... and if you're hiring for, e.g., cashiering positions, would you rather have some guy who's 35 with a family to support (i.e., responsibilities) or an 18-year-old?

Same with the minimum wage, it's just always a question of what the exact number ought to be. Is it still $8 in California? If you believe this graph:

-- that's still less in inflation-adjusted dollars than it was in its peak year, 1968. (Also note the next few graphs where it's clear that one individual working has never been able to put a family above the povery level.)

I tend to agree with much of what John has to say about taxes being applied at the wrong places, in ways that often ends up hurting job creation.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner