Re: OT: password etc removal

=A0 =A0Have a friend with an E-Machine preinstalled WinME.

> =A0 =A0Problem #1: name is presented and password requested; how to remov=
PW and alter username at meinimum? > =A0 =A0BTW, do not know PW, i just click on "cancel" and i am in the syst=

em.

=A0 =A0Problem #2: MSN installed; how do i remove all instances of userna=

me

and password? > =A0 =A0Problem #3: OE installed; how do i remove all instances of usernam=
and password? > > =A0 =A0Icing on cake: Once all personal junk is "deleted" (even from the > "recycle bin"), is there a better way to remove the dregs than a mere > defrag?

Doesn't say anything about ME but I personally vouch that this works on XP Pro:

AFAICT no viruses or other malware either.

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
alien8er

Gee, for *ONLY* ... As the Baer might say, FURgeddit.

Reply to
Robert Baer

em.

me

"For almost no work"? How do you know what it took to write the software? Who gets to decide what it's worth to use somebody else's intellectual property?

Anyway, the site has changed; until recently the "priority service" (meaning results within ten minutes) was charged for, but if you were willing to wait 72 hours it was free, as in no charge.

I'm guessing the free thing amounted to beta-testing their software, which now that it's proven to work they feel more secure about charging for it; I see nothing about a "no pay" option anywhere on the site.

Anyway, it does work (once you have the admin username & password you can do anything you want), and if you don't want to do a wipe/ reinstall...

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
alien8er

Wipe and re-install is out of the question; the owner does not want that. And i will not pay for ONE password that i do not need or want or can use. When i install Win2K and give no username or password at the outset, then it boots without the "window" giving a username and asking for a password. I want to remove that "window" in this WinME setup if at all possible. So...with the above restrictions, is it possible, and how?

Reply to
Robert Baer

remove

system.

username

username

mere

works

that.

=20

possible.

I have been linuxing so much for so long that i do not remember that stuff all that clearly. But IIRC there is a setting for "autologon" in 9X/ME. I do not remember how to get there. OTOH you can try=20

.
Reply to
JosephKK