Re: mosfet gate drive impedance

I design my own MOSFET amplifiers, up to 600 watts RMS.

--
There is no such thing as "watts RMS".
Reply to

But according to Walmart there is Watts PMPO :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

John Fields wrote:

You're joking. Right? Back in (what?) the early '70s, EIA decided that instead of using the logical term "Watts, continuous" they would call it "Watts RMS" for audio gear.

That is is similar to *root mean squared* makes this confusing and is a sign of bad judgement on their part.

Reply to
JeffM

It appears to have been the Institute of High Fidelity - a group of manufacturer's

This, and other articles, seem to agree that it is, at best, confusing.

Reply to
Richard Seriani

JeffM wrote:

Richard Seriani wrote:

Shows how out of touch *I* am. I didn't realize it was a quote.

*.watts.RMS

Reply to
JeffM

It is indeed possible to calculate RMS power. However, the result is a mathematical curiosity and is not useful. If you calculate RMS power, the result will be 1.225 X the value you get by multiplying (RMS voltage) X (RMS Current). See the article in JAES (Journal of the Audio Engineering Society) "RMS Power: Fact or Fancy" by Eargle and Locanth for the details. The latest IHF Standard for Amplifiers was released in the late 60's. I does not make reference to "RMS power". In its table of minimum amplifier specifications, it refers to "Continuous output in watts per channel". Partially in response to audio equipment manufacturers' abuse of power ratings ("RMS Power", "Peak Power", "Music Power", etc), the FTC published its "Electronic Code of Federal Regulations". Part 432 of this regulation specifies, among other things, that power output shall be disclosed as "rated minimum sine wave continuous average power output". In fact, the only use of the term "RMS" in this regulation is with respect to the power line voltage and current. "RMS Power" makes absolutely no sense. Regards, Jon

Reply to
jd_lark

That's a 35-year-old article, which makes it a bit hard to get. But it's no doubt interesting. Could you put up a scan?

Reply to
Winfield

The articel can be obtained by visting the AES website:

Regards, Jon

Reply to
jd_lark

Ah yes, Peak Marketing Power Output ;-)