Re: Low audio noise JFETs?

What would be a really low noise FET?

People like NXP's BF862, but you don't like NXP (by the way I've seen their bipolar discretes fab. Second biggest discretes fab in the world, after Rohm, and continuously expanding). Specced 0.8nV/rtHz @ 100kHz (a lot of good that'll do you).

As a dual I've got NXPs PMBFJ620 in my drawer but haven't tried it out yet. Datasheet says 6nV/rtHz @ 100Hz.

Ciss of the 862 is roughly 2x that of the 620, so I'd expect the 862 to be less noisy than the 620 (but that's not even a hand-waving deduction any more, it's more like arms-flailing).

Then there are of course things like Interfet's IF3601 (single) and IF3602 (dual, 0.3nV/rtHz @ 100Hz), but it's my hunch that you're not keen on spending big $$$ on something in a TO-99 can.

robert

Reply to
Robert Latest

Oh, their EEs and fab folks are great and so are most of their products. I've had large custom production runs done at Philips/Krefeld a long time ago. Very professional. Problem is, their marketeers are not great, IMHO.

I've tried a few RF FETs and none has performed well at low frequencies. Their 1/f corner is often quite high, usually several kHz.

Looks good but where's the corner? Why no NF graph?

This is how a datasheet for a low noise device is done:

Nope. And no boutique parts :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/